SWEET TEA

Monday, April 22, 2013

Motley Crew


It was a beautiful Spring Sunday here on the Bayou.
As our family went into church 10 minutes late I was reminded of "Pack the Pew" Sundays, a common occasion for protestant churches when I was a child.  Do any of you remember "packing the pew"?  Anyway, as we filled our row of chairs at church this morning I couldn't help but think of what a "motley crew" we are.  Me, Mister, My Mom, Lil' Mama, Baby Daddy, and Haylee Kate.  Norman Rockwell certainly never painted a picture of our group!  (Yes, Baby Daddy spent the weekend with us - that alone continues to be an on-going test of living out our faith, but it's getting a tiny bit easier.)   I once read "Grace is something we all want to receive, but never want to give" - it's an ugly truth, isn't it?  I want grace, but it's sure hard to give sometimes.  If it sounds like I'm preaching just know that I'm preaching to myself.  I love the fact that our church welcomes everyone, regardless of situation and circumstance, 'cause we are definitely living in a set of unforeseen circumstances.  At this time last year none of our group could have imagined how we would all have been connected together in such a way on this particular Sunday in April this year.  Our situation isn't ideal, but with God's help, we're all moving forward.  Haylee Kate and my Mom are the sunshine in our day - it's hokey, but true.

BTW, let the record show that Mister and I have decided that Baby Daddy (don't want to use his real name here) is welcome to come here to spend time with our family to enable him to  forge a relationship with his daughter.  Every bedroom in our house is taken so he sleeps on the sofa.  We are getting acquainted with him.  The future is still a big question mark for he and Lil' Mama, though they remain "boyfriend and girlfriend" at this point and time. (Yes, this does make me nervous.) It would be easy to pass judgement on this situation - I know this for a fact because I wrestle with it also.  

'Nuff said for tonight.
Most of our "motley crew" has gone to bed,
and I am soon to join them!


13 comments:

Joyce said...

Amazing grace how sweet the sound! I think you painted a lovely picture of just how available that grace is...I'm certain a packed pew brings a smile to the face of God.

Sunny Simple Life said...

You are so right on the grace thing. So very true!!

Jeanie said...

Your motley crew shares a lot of love and you are doing what is best for everyone right now. I think you are doing it with a lot of grace.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Skoots1moM said...

love wins...
we want justice for others, and mercy for ourselves... ;)
we all struggle with many things regarding this
good blog

Nonnie said...

I'm with you. Love, grace and mercy. I like this post because I have also reflected on the way life has a way of making twists and turns and bring folks together in a way we never would have foreseen. It's nice Baby Daddy wants to get to know his baby girl.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yaya said...

I think it will all work for the best in the long run and you're not alone with your situation....Your faith will see you through and God will take care of the rest. The best place to be for any "motley crew" is church! Have a good week!

marejohn said...

Oh I feel it! Been there for certain and "your take" on the situation is spot on.
You called it on the "grace" situation!
Bottom line-"God is good" AND His grace is sufficient.
Amen!
Thanks for a great post!

Aloha Acres said...

I needed that lesson in "grace" today, as I work through some of my own stuff.

I admire you so much. You have taken on more than I could ever imagine, and you do it keeping your family together. Praying for you friend.

nancygrayce said...

It's so true that grace is easier to receive than give!

I'll bet I could put my motley crew up against yours any day:)
Truth be told, we probably all have that I some form.

Good for you and your husband for trying to get to know baby daddy......got to be hard!

Bobbie said...

Boy, am I relating to this...

Jill said...

Everything happens for a reason....I hope you have a wonderful week!

Blessings,
Jill

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...