SWEET TEA

Monday, July 16, 2012

My history of History.



Princess, loading up to go to camp last week.

Ever the same, smarty pants goof
sweet spirit.

Picking up friends along the way
for a week of camp fun!

Me?
This is what I did.



I prepped for another year,
her SENIOR year
of home school.

I love history.
I don't retain it,
but I love hearing/reading about it.
History was actually wasted on me when I was a student.  I apologize to every history teacher who labored to pour it into my brain.  I was hopeless.  It seems one has to live a bit to really be able to grasp the importance of  things that came before us, at least it was that way for me.  When I was a kid I couldn't think beyond the weekend, much less the next year.  And as difficult as it was to think of life beyond the moment, it was even harder to think about things that occurred before I was even born.  Old people  anyone over 19 and old wars were totally beyond my grasp and my interest.  It was only as I matured that I began to have an appreciation for the things that had led to our current time in history.  I began to enjoy hearing about how my parents had grown up, and their parents before them.  I wanted to know where they had lived and how they had met.  I wanted to know about Presidents and how all the rules laws came to be. As an adult, Mister and I  began to take vacations to different states and learn the history that made them special. History is so dimensional that it's hard to do it justice within the pages of a book, don't you think?  Still I am gearing up for another school year and just as I did when I was in high school, Princess will study World History, as part of her courses.  She will study and pass all the tests, but I have a feeling that I will be the one reveling in the lessons and that she will come to actually appreciate all the knowledge at a much later time in her life.

* * * * * * * * * * * * 
Princess will be at camp for two weeks.
School will begin at our house on Aug. 13.

The Summer is flying by.
Whoa!  I want to linger in it for as long as possible.
But soon this Summer will be. . .history!

Are you a long-time History Buff?
OR
Are you new to the appreciation of history as I am?










18 comments:

Liz Mays said...

It went right through me as a student too! I just couldn't remember it at all. I find it really interesting as an adult, but I still can't retain it!

Cheri said...

I have always like History but could never retain dates. I wanted to ask you how long you have been home schooling?

Anonymous said...

what pretty girls off to camp, ahhh, those were good times, I wasn't that interested in History when in school, but now I find it interesting, must come with age.

nancygrayce said...

The day it hit me how important history is, is the day I spent in Washington D.C. Just one day walking that wonder of historical sites and I was hooked. Like you, in high school everything went in and straight on through! I love it now and wish more people would look back on our history! :)

Deanna said...

I only had one decent history teacher and that was in junior high. She made it interesting by focusing more on the people and gossipy-type stuff rather than just dates. I used the "History of US" series when I homeschooled my kids and especially loved using the list of additional resources in the back of each volume to select some of our "for fun" reading. I actually think we all learned as much or more from those novels.

Jeanie said...

I think that like you I came to love history as I got older. I don't have much memory of history classes in high school, but I did come to have a lot of interest in it as an adult. Maybe your enthusiasm for the subject will perk Princess' interest.

Nonnie said...

I don't remember disliking history - it was a much better subject for me than, ugh, math. But what I enjoyed were the personal stories and I read a lot of biographies about people like Dolly Madison, Abigail Adams, Molly Pitcher, and so forth. I do think your appreciation for history is much greater as you grow older and, as you said, making trips to historical sites where history begins to come alive more (watching the History channel has been fun, too ;-).

You must be an amazing organizer to be Wife, Mom, Yaya, teacher, blogger, etc. And Princess should hopefully get a lot more out of it being in a more personal setting.

Aloha Acres said...

I didn't care about "history" at all growing up, but now I love it. I've learned so much more homeschooling my boys than I ever did in school myself. Wonder why that is. I'm sure it had nothing to do with me and my attitude "back in the day." (Yeah, right.)

We're starting today. *sigh* I don't know why I'm dreading it because we've been on a LONG break. Just not ready to be "responsible" again, ya know?

Shelly said...

I LOVE history. I sometimes think I should have been a history teacher instead of an English teacher...

My Mind's Eye said...

I know nothing about home schooling but it appears you are making some history of your own!! Good luck.
I loved American History...
hugs Madi and Mom

Bobbie said...

I liked boys a lot better than history, so needless to say the boys won out. Now that I'm older, I love learning about history and visiting new places.

Good luck with your home schooling prep. Bless your heart! I would have never been able to home school my kids because they knew more than me at a young age.. lolI admire you!!

yaya said...

I loved English much more than history..I too had a hard time remembering facts..places...names..just like I do now with real live humans! But I've learned more from visiting historic places and seeing things in museums..some reason it sticks with me better than just reading about it. Your daughter is a cutie and I hope she enjoys camp. You will be a sad Momma this time next year won't you...maybe!

Unknown said...

History was hard for me when I was in school. I didn't find it all that interesting or important. I now wish I had taken more focus on history and found excitement there. That was one of the reasons I loved homeschooling because I was able to learn as well. Two weeks of Princesslessness? What are you going to do?

Susan said...

Same here. I appreciate history so much more now that I realize what the passage of time can bring. I also wish I had listened more to the stories that were told over and over in my own family. My sister is a long time history lover and has been working on a book about the history of our home county for years now. If she ever gets it finished it will have to be published in multiple volumes. Keep up the studies and remember to take a sweet tea break once in a while. Hope Princess has a blast at camp.

karen said...

I've always enjoyed history. I didn't always understand all of the politics through the decades, but basically it's a subject I like. But now that I'm older, I'm like you - everything is just fascinating.

Heatherscot said...

I am just like you. My son has always been very interested in history and politics. When he was doing his online schooling throughout middle school and high school, I suddenlty acquired somewhat of an interest in the history lessons. I learned a lot. Actually, I found some interest in history for a few semesters in college only becuz I had this professor that made it so very interesting...he was quite the drama king. LOL

Sandra said...

I LOVE History, but like you when in school I really wasn't much into it and honestly didn't understand why it was important to learn about things that happened so many many years ago LOL

Now though, I love it, I read it, I watch it. :)

Joyce said...

I love history but like you don't retain it all that well. Living in Europe helped tremendously. I'm visual so actually visiting historical sites helps me retain what I've learned.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...