SWEET TEA

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A News Junkie's Thoughts


I am a News Junkie.
I don't follow politics much but certain things catch my eye and at times I can become a little OCD on certain topics, particularly trial cases. . .I've been watching some of the coverage of the tragedy in Colorado, but I've reached a point where I know I need to step back.  My heart aches for those who ache.  I hurt for those who hurt.  I ask "why?" along with the rest of the country, but there is only so much one can actually take in. There is a point where I begin to personalize it all and that's when I know I've crossed the line, for me personally.  I cannot and will not let fear and dread become a part of my spirit.  We know that these ongoing lifestyle emotions are not of God.  I know that heartache comes to individuals and families at certain times in each of our life.  When it comes we find ways to deal with the unthinkable.  But, no one is helped by becoming overly engrossed in the sorrow of others.  Someone must pray for these families when they are too weak to pray for themselves.  Someone must be strong enough to step up to help these families too.  That's our part, as Christian people. . .Today I opened my Bible and read Psalm 80:21.  This scripture was in regard to David, however it is my prayer for all those who are suffering as a result of the Colorado tragedy.


My hand will sustain him;
surely my arm will strengthen him.
Psalm 80:21

May the hand of God sustain those who have suffered loss and may his arm strengthen those who are hurting.
In the name of Jesus,
Amen.

19 comments:

Karen Whittal said...

What a thought provoking blog, you are so right as Christians we are called to pray for those who cannot.... or won't. I think we live in a world where people thrive off the misery of others just so sad.

yaya said...

You said beautifully and I will just add my AMEN.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Amen

arkie said...

I do agree! May God be with us all!

Anonymous said...

Amen.

nancygrayce said...

Thank you for that! I think I get caught up in wanting to know what would make someone do something so horrible. But then I stop and remember that nothing is a surprise to our God and our job is just what you said, prayer for those who are so tragically changed forever.

I find myself saying....no more news!

Jeanie said...

There are so many "whys" with this situation....we may never know the answers and I think we are better off doing whatever we can, including prayer, for the victims than looking for answers.
Like you I am a bit of a news junkie, but I fully agree with you that there is nothing to be gained by being engrossed in the sorrow of others.

Mary said...

And, sometimes (!) the media goes overboard with their coverage.

Chatty Crone said...

Amen - good post. sandie

marejohn said...

amen...

Bupu2 said...

Lovely prayer. Amen. (Bless you as well.)

Memoirs of Me & Mine said...

That is beautiful! God bless you.

karen said...

Horrible thing, wasn't it? It's probably not a popular thing to say, but my heart also goes out to the parents of the shooter. Can you imagine what they must feel like? The guilt? Unbearable. We have a son who is schizophrenic, but who was lucky enough to 1. Have a loving family who sought prompt treatment 2. Has some wonderful doctors, nurses, and an amazing social worker who all work together with us in his best interests. Thanks to all efforts he is doing well, but if his symptoms had been ignored, or undiagnosed who knows what terrible thing could have happened - to him, or to others? Chances are, this whole Aurora thing was something that could have been avoided if the right people had recognized warning signs, and taken action. We tend to dismiss someone as "weird" or a "loner" - or even worse, we are embarrassed or ashamed of the stigma of mental illness - when we need to take action to get them the help they need before they do themselves or others some harm. Such a tragedy in so many ways.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I agree too. So many events have happened recently that need prayers for so many.

I'm a News junkie too and was listening to the Penn. State stuff today. Being in a family of avid "Big Ten" football fans, I am crushed that a University chose to protect their football program over these little boys. I can only shake my head and wonder "what's next">

NanaDiana said...

I am a news junkie, too. I turn on CNN when I get up and flip back and forth between that and our local news. It is addictive. I, too, get to a spot where I feel that I need to distance myself from the deep sorrow and tragedy that is going on sometimes. Blessings to you- xo Diana

Susie said...

I felt bombarded by the news of the shooting in Colorado. I finally turned it off and said a prayer for all those people of Aurora. I still pray for them, I pray for all of us. xoxo, Susie

Ellie said...

It was totally shocking what happened in Colorado - I can't even really begin to imagine how horrific it was.
My thoughts also go to everyone who was caught up in some way in the tragedy.

Handsome's wife said...

I am not a news junkie. I dislike all the news over and over. I find it just makes me stress. That's not to say I don't care. I just don't want or need the news and all those images in my head.

Sandra said...

I'm not a news or politics junkie. Matter of fact just this morning I decided to take a break from Facebook because I can't take all stuff on my newsfeed LOL

Hope you're having a good week :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...