SWEET TEA

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Our Wedding Night . . ."details"

Then
May 29, 1969


Now,
43 years later.

Happy Anniversary to us!

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Now, you knew I couldn't just let this be without telling a story. . .
A long time ago, in a place far, far, away (Oklahoma), I was a young, naive, bride.  The wedding was over and off we went to a local hotel for our wedding night. 
When we arrived at our hotel room, I realized something was amiss.  The lovely hotel suite was built in such a way, with an arched opening to display the bathroom,
SANS A DOOR!!!
No door?!
Really?  Who EVER thought this
was a good idea????
This made the nervous young bride even more nervous.  No explanation needed.

I may have been nervous and naive
but I was also creative and hungry.
I had not eaten all day - "nerves".

I sent Mister back out into the night
to buy food for his starving bride.
Poor guy took out all alone to find food, driving our car with "Just Married" written all over it.  Quite the sight.

While he was gone, with lightning speed, I bathed, perfumed and readied myself for my groom, crisis averted.  Note to all builders: Every bathroom should have a door.  Just sayin. . .

I'll leave the rest of the story to your imagination,
except to say, I may have been wearing a beautiful white negligee as we ate our burgers, and we have had great fun telling this story
over and over and over and over. . .



26 comments:

Melanie said...

Love that story, bless your heart - no bathroom door! I can't imagine!!! Guess that it does make a good story to tell!! Happy Anniversary!!!!

Shelly said...

Happy anniversary! That is a great story- so cute!

Cheri said...

Good story and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

marejohn said...

Happy Anniversary!!! LOVE it! NO BATHROOM DOOR though??? just can't imagine! A married couple in a room with NO bathroom door!!!??? *shaking head in disbelief*

Marsha Young said...

Either the builders were complete dolts or cretins.

But it makes a great story! :)

Happy Anniversary!

Mari said...

Happy Anniversary! Love the pictures and the story!

Anonymous said...

wow, thetitle of this post sure caught my eye, and knowing you I knew it would be a great story, but no door, wow, every bathroom should have a door, I can just see you eating burgers in your white nighties, so sweet, gosh you are tiny little package, or else you have a very tall husband, beautiful photos, then and now,

Unknown said...

Love it! Happy anniversary! And you are oh so right--doors on the bathroom!!

Deanna said...

Ooh, I would hate that. Even after nearly 31 years of marriage I want a door. At least you came up with a creative solution. Happy anniversary!

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary sweet friend!! May you both be blessed with many many more and always have a bathroom that has a door! ha. ;)

Bobbie said...

Happy Anniversary!! Oh, what a story! Love it!! You two look great.. haven't changed much at all.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Oh, Dear! No door. Terry and I still do not share a bathroom so escially, not on your honeymoon.

43 years. That is tremendous!

Aloha Acres said...

You are creative! I would have died w/o a door that night ... and panicked!!

My Mind's Eye said...

Happy Anniversary....to you both...
and may you have 43 more.
Hugs Madi and Mom

karen said...

That's a great story! I love those sweet stories of our naive selves long ago. My husband knocked over a little lamp that had lots of crystals hanging from it like a mini chandelier. He was so nervous - I'll never forget him trying to put them all back on... The other story was the wedding night negligee. In my innocence I somehow thought that a gown that had ties that wrapped around and around toga style would be a good idea. He could have spun me like a top! (Fortunately he didn't...)

Linda said...

Happy HAPPY anniversary!!!

Tracey FK said...

great story... we ended up eating hamburgers at our hotel after our wedding dinner as well... but the bathroom had a door and it was only 20 years ago... not 43... congrats... you our ensuite has no door and I have to say I am with you... kind of drives me nuts even now!!!! hope you had an amazing anniversary...xx

yaya said...

Happy Anniversary! Fun story...and just the right amount of info to keep it friendly...and it reminded me of our wedding night..I wasn't hungry even though I hadn't eaten but, to make it more romantic, I threw up...yup, and Jack didn't even head for the hills! Thankfully we had a bathroom door!

The Old Dairy said...

Hahahahaha.....I still want to have a bathroom door even now...Love the story....Happy Anniversary...

Chatty Crone said...

Happy happy happy anniversary to you - 43 years. And probably still eating burgers. sandie

NanaDiana said...

What a fun, fun story- What idiot doesn't put doors on bathrooms? lol You are just a little thing, aren't you? I can see it when I compare you to how tall you hubby is- Happy Anniversary- xo Diana

Unknown said...

What a cute couple then and now! Happy Anniversary to the both of you! I hope that I will have the same smile on my face 43 years from now. You truly look happy!

Rhona said...

Love the photos and I could just imagine how you felt - no door on the bathroom?? Love that you have a story to tell :) xx

Jill said...

Happy Anniversary!!! wow 43 years that is so wonderful to here. My parents just celebrated 46 :-) Your anniversary is my daughter's birthday. Ours is the 28th.
Love the story!

Blessings,
Jill

Wild Oregonian said...

Happy Anniversary~ What a great story!

Mary said...

Now that's true love!
Happy belated anniversary!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...