SWEET TEA

Monday, January 30, 2012

Da' Plane. Da' Plane.

I know absolutely nothing about airplanes
but I certainly won't let that stop me from
telling you all about them
...I live very close
to a big Air Force base, the one where
they took President Bush on 9/11.
The major work at this base is the
maintenance of the HUGE B52
Bombers. 

They are monstrous in size,
yet when I see them fly, in my mind
I refer to them as the "Gentle Giants".
Heaven only knows they are not gentle,
but as they slice through the sky they deceivingly
appear so beautifully graceful.
Yesterday, as I took my walk, the planes
were constantly overhead.  If I squinted just right
and looked into the northern sky I could see the
plane as a tiny dot, then in a matter of seconds
it would be overhead circling the city before landing.
Then, another would appear and do exactly as
the one before it had done.
It was a beautiful sight to watch.


Do you see it?
If you look in the middle of the photo,
about a 1/2 inch above the tree tops
you can see it as a tiny dot.



Then soon it was overhead.
One after one they came.
I soon lost count of how many
I saw.  There were many.


Rumor has it they are preparing to deploy.


From time to time we see Air Force One in the skies.
They must come here for maintenance too.
One never knows if it is the "actual" Air Force One,
or one of the "look alikes".
Looking skyward from the ground
Air Force One appears to be snow white in color.
It is beautiful against a clear blue sky.

I most certainly appreciate and thank the
United States Air Force
for providing entertainment
as I strutted my stuff around the park.
I saw all those gorgeous young pilots
givin' me the eye from those planes.

Those sweet young men in these
southern skies surely must love them
some SWEET TEA!

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun!
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one hell of a roar!*
We live in fame or go down in flame.
Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!"

May God continue to bless the brave
men and women who serve to protect
and keep us free!

16 comments:

Mari said...

My husband and son would be jealous of you. They love seeing those types of planes. My son is currently in Afghanistan where he works on the Apache helicopter. There are lots of amazing aircraft in our military!

Shelly said...

I think it's fascinating to watch planes. We have a Naval Air Station very near us where they train pilots on jets. I could watch those things go by all day!

NanaDiana said...

My son is taking his pilot lessons right now. He will be flying for the company he works with..something he has always wanted to do. A whole different animal though than the Service men and women that fly. God bless them all. How neat to be able to see those up close and personal. xo Diana

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love to watch planes, and it would be interesting to see them close by like where you live. It's a bit frightening to think about several B52s possibly getting ready to deploy. Makes one wonder what will happen next. I do have confidence in our military, God bless each one of our men and women serving our country!

Chatty Crone said...

Amen sister! I appreciate what all they have done for us too.

My husband is WILD about planes. Flies model planes.

We live close to Dobbins Air Force Base.

Love your pictures - and all your winks from the pilots.

sandie

My Mind's Eye said...

Now those are some big honkin' planes.
God Bless our service men and women and all they do for our great country.
Hugs C

Shirley Sue said...

I'm sure the best thing you are loving about this is the fact that you are on the ground and not in the plane! I know for a fact that you have issues flying.

On my way to Charleston one year, as I was driving on an unknown road that Garmin had lead me down. Or rather I should say up! It was a VERY steep hill. I'll also note at the time, I had no cell phone service. Just as I was about to get to the top of the steep hill, a very LARGE B52 came over the hill. Skeered the bejesus out of me! All I could do was stop breathing and pray it didn't scrape the top of Fiona. It was so close I could actually see dirt and grease on the bottom of the plane.

Saimi said...

I grew up in the military as my dad was a Navy man. As you entered our small town one of the first signs you see is one that says, "Pardon the noise, it's the sound of freedom." Ya know, I couldn't agree more!

Susie said...

I love flight so much. When we went to D.C. we went to the air and space museum....so I missed Julia Childs kitchen at one of the other museums, dang. I have been to Dayton Ohio's air force museum...Awesome !!! Smiles, Susie

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful post,

Jeanie said...

I am a former Air Force wife and lived at a couple of bases where B 52s flew in and out. You are right...they are very impressive to see.

Janie Fox said...

That is a treat. I never see any but way way high in the sky. And they know a good Sweet Tea when they see one!

bj said...

I love this post, Sweet Tea...
When my boy was little (bwaaaaaa) that was one of his favorite songs. We sang it all the time and now I am missing my little tiny boy that is about to turn 48 in just a few days....

KTW said...

I am terrified of flying and would never get on a plane (unless I'm well drugged and completely unconscious) but I do enjoy watching these guys fly around here, too. We also get to see Air Force One from time to time because they practice landings at our airport in Charleston. Very short runway = good practice. And girlfriend, you KNOW those pilots were giving you the once over! ;)

Liz Mays said...

LOL! You know they were checking you out from their planes! :) What a cool thing to see them one after the other like that!

Carla said...

Am I the only one that sang the song instead of reading it? At least in my head - never outloud as that would scare the kitties ans set off all the alarms!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...