SWEET TEA

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Today is MY BIRTHDAY!

Photobucket
"TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY"


piece cake
Today, as I lick cake frosting from my upper lip
I'm thinking about my Mom.
She was 20 when I was born; Dad was 29.
They lived in a tiny 3rd story apartment
which had no a/c (no one did in those times).


an
Mom says they had one tiny fan,
the size of a dinner plate.
Can you imagine?

There she was, pregnant through
the HEAT of an Oklahoma summer,
living with one tiny fan.
(Can we even imagine the heat
of a 3rd story apt with no a/c????)

infant
Then there was me.

Mom said she would set the fan to blow
over a block of ice, pointed directly at
me.  I received what cool (?) air was
to be found, along with all the love
as she and Dad nurtured their first born.

God bless you Mom.
You were "tough stuff", and still are.
Thanks for all the sacrifices you have
made for me through the years.

"I love you!"
And I appreciate you more
with each passing year.

20 comments:

Joyce said...

Happy Birthday!! Sweet tribute to your mom too : )

Carol said...

Enjoy celebrating your birthday! Love the story of the ice & fan.

Smiles,
Carol

Nancy's Notes said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to you! Hope your day is filled lots of joy and cake!! What a beautiful tribute to your parents and especially your dear mom!

Wishing you many more happy birthdays!

Nancy

Handsome's wife said...

Happy Happy Birthday day to you!

Susan said...

Happy Birthday!

Kimmy said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what a lovely tribute to your mom! I love my mom also!! :o)

Hope you have a FABulously "cool" day!! :O)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Here's sendin' ya a very Happy Birthday wish straight from the Ozarks! I hope your day is filled with fun laughter and cake with loads of icing!!!

God bless ya and enjoy sweetie!!!

Meathead said...

HAPPY BRITHDAY!! I hope you have a GREAT day!

A block of ice sounds lovely. It's pretty hot where I am, but I have 2 fans and I'm not on a third floor!! I can't imagine!

Mary said...

♫ Happy Birthday! ♫

arkie said...

Happy Birthday to you!

NanaDiana said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you have many, many more...and what a nice tribute to your Mom! Diana

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Happy Birthday!

What a sweet tribute to your parents!

nancygrayce said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to you!! Today is also my DIL's birthday! I also have two children born in the heat of August and can feel your mother's pain! But how sweet of your parents to think of you first...isn't that so like our parents?

I hope your day is wonderful and filled with happy surprises!

SusanD said...

Hey Gal, Happy Birthday. Loved your tribute to your mom. Very sweet. Blessings, SusanD

Debby@Just Breathe said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

KTW said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom. :) And a belated happy birthday to you!

D. Jean Quarles said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope it was great!

Robin said...

AWwwwwe, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! August Birthday gals ROCK!!!


{{{HUGS}}}}

momof3girls said...

Happy Birthday!!! Who would want to live in OK without air conditioning!! Crazy!!

Relyn Lawson said...

(Picture this being sung slightly off-tune in a charming, quirky manner, please.)

Happy birthday to you. You live in a zoo. You look like a monkey. And you smell like one, too.

No? Too much? Well, that's what I get for hanging out with seven year olds all day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...