SWEET TEA

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bucket Garden

Photobucket

My Bucket Garden
July 2008

This was my little garden last summer.
"Eat your heart out Martha Stewart!"
Yes, it was strange a bit unorthodox and perhaps
(Shh! I'm whispering) "a little bit tacky,"but nonetheless it was my experiment and given daily doses of water from
ye old water hose, it in return gave
me these. . .

Photobucket
Beautiful, vine ripe, red tomatoes,
which looked like this.
Half of my yield looked like this.

Darn birds!
They were consistent, sneaking into my
Bucket domain and literally "enjoying
the fruit of my labor". Not to be
outdone I tied streamers to the fence
so they would blow in the wind and
frighten the feathery bandits away.
The streamers blew,
but the pesky birds continued
their heist.


Not to be outdone I dug deep into
my Fall storage and brought out a
Halloween Scarecrow and placed
it in the middle of the group of
buckets. . .But the birds persevered
as the Scarecrow looked on.

Then. . .
One evening as I peered from my window,
this is what I saw -
Photobucket
I had been
out-witted, out-played, and out-lasted
by a "wascally wabbit"!

                          
* * * * * * * * * * *
Update:  Let the record show I did not plant a
garden of any type this year.
The rabbits won.
I'll be buying my produce from the
Farmers Market.
Wonder how the Farmers keep the
rabbits out of their Garden?????

13 comments:

Mom24 said...

I cried uncle on the garden too. I planted tomatoes, a few herbs, strawberries that came back from last year and that's it. Tired of the drought/too much water/too hot/too cold/bugs, etc.

good thing I love our Farmer's Market.

D. Jean Quarles said...

Too funny. We have the same problem. We, also, think it's the birds.

Lana@The Kids Did WHAT?! said...

Sshhhhhh!!!!!
Don't be telling me that! I have a garden. My very FIRST garden EVER. And it's seems to be doing quite well. Although I have seen rabbits hoping around, I have yet to see any nibbling. (*knocking on wood that it stays that way!!*)

And call it a hunch, but I'm guessing the farmers keep the rabbits away by a little soemthin' somethin' that goes "KABOOM"! :P

Unknown said...

Awww, that was a great concept. Too bad the rabbits thought so too!

There's nothing like home grown tomatoes. Well, the farmer's market is like home grown though.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

LOL....I cried uncle after seeing deer devour my beautiful crop. I support the local economy too...and visit the Farmer's Market.

Angie said...

Love that is what the rabbit and not the birds. We have a tomato plant this year and I'm just waiting to see who gets the fruit first!

We may end up at the Farmer's Market right along with you. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Susan said...

I cried uncle on the veggie gardening when I was much younger. I was literally feeding the rabbits. Too much work for not enough yield. Well, at least we tried. Have a great week.

Simple Home said...

Lol, you made me smile. The birds have been getting my strawberries. I've resorted to putting an old screen on top of them.
Blessings,
Marcia

Kimmy said...

Awww...cute bunny! I'm with you though....to the grocery store I go to get my produce. It's just easier that way :O)

Unknown said...

Wascally wabbit, huh? Don't blame you for giving up--those critters make the whole gardening thing so not worth it.

Anonymous said...

Ha!

You always have to watch out for those wascally wabbits!

Jewel said...

We gave up on gardening here, too, because of all the critters! You would have thought we planted our garden just so they would have fodder! Sheesh!
BUT this year we planted a few cabbage, pepper and tomato plants. We'll have to see how they fare in our critter-laden countryside! :-)

sanjeet said...

We have the same problem. We, also, think it's the birds.
PPC Advertising India

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...