SWEET TEA

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Old Boyfriends

Got time to talk about "old boyfriends"?

On this night before Valentine's Day I'm reminscing about love's gone by and the memories are sweet, probably because I was fortunate enough  to "get it right" when I married my Valentine many years ago.  Still, it's fun to look back at the puppy love and crushes that came before that walk down the isle.

Robert J.
He was a very handsome 4th grade Scout. 
He gave me his Scout Ring to "seal the deal".
We were the talk of Ms. Hemphill's 4th gr class.


In the 6th grade a nice guy,
who I admired from a distance, gave me
a tiny china Tea set
and a BIG Valentine Card.
Thank you, Gary W.
I still remember it
after all these years.

In the 7th grade I had a BIG crush on Lloyd C., but it was not to be, as he only had eyes for Glenda S.  Try as I did he could not be swayed.  *sniff  *sniff  Today when we make the drive to Oklahoma to visit family we drive through a small town which bears his name and I always think of him.


In the 8th gr. Robert B entered my life.
He was an older man, being in the 9th gr.
at that time.  I liked him.
And best of all, HE liked me.
We were a couple till he moved
on to high school and broke my heart.
MANY YEARS later I read in
the newspaper that he had died
in a boating accident. He left
behind a wife and two little girls.
I cried.
A part of my youth died that day,
though I was happily married with
3 young children of my own.



In the 10th grade I fell madly in
"high school love"
with  Larry B.
He was a Football player
and the sight of him running
onto the field as the school song played
was enough to light my fire.
We dated a little, but actually had
little in common, but the school
we attended.


The night after I graduated from high school
I had a date with a long time
highschool friend, Johnny C.
He was handsome.
He was kind.
He made me laugh.


I married him 2 years later.

We've been married 40 years
and have 4 children.
It was the best thing I ever did.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S
DAY JOHNNY!

(btw, I know you read
my Blog!)



*Got any old boyfriend stories
you'd care to share?*

I'd love to hear.


13 comments:

Unknown said...

A walk down memory lane is especially sweet when it ends with the love of your life like it has for you!!

Not much to tell about the old boyfriends. Only one that seriously broke my heart when after dating me for quite a while discovered that he'd rather date my twin sister and told me, "Sorry, I picked the wrong one!" No idea where's he at now...maybe in jail!

Relyn Lawson said...

I love this post. It's a wonderful post on its own, but I also love the synchronicity of it. I spent a good bit of time yesterday thinking about old boyfriends. It was fun. I wonder if they're on Facebook. I might have to use one of my friends accounts to go spying.

Robin said...

Awwwe, that is so sweet!!! I do have some good memories of my "elementary" school boyfriends, but not-so-good memories of my high school boyfriend. I am planning on doing a VLOG about all that mess sometime in the near future!

Happy Valentine's Day!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Robin :o)

Unknown said...

Congratulations on 40 years together. That's quite an accomplishment! This was a wonderful post.

Unknown said...

What a sweet post :)
If I did one like this, you'd need two screens to read it!

Parsley said...

Hey! I really enjoyed your comments today and that you 'keep it real' on your blog. That's what I like!

You've got a new follower my friend. I look forward to more blogging talk with you in the future.

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Oh, what a WONDERFUL story, and I LOVE the way you told it!!

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog! I'm so glad you did, because now I've found YOU!! I'm your newest follower!

Thanks for the smile, and congrats on FORTY years! Wow!!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Very sweet!

I saw you on Parsely's blog. I love anyone who can keep it real!

Stephani Cochran said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad you found the right guy and have been married for 40 years! That is such an example to all of us married and yet to be married.

xinex said...

Oh I love reading about your love stories..Christine

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

WOW....40 years...how awesome. I will post my boyfriend stories tomorrow.....I have to have some time to gather my thoughts. Check it out.

Anonymous said...

My current girlfriend will tell you I AM the old boyfriend! *gulp*

;)

~Anchored In Christ~ said...

lets see if I can tell and remember old boyfriends. ones that count anyways. b/c the one i have now i called him lucky #7. :)

before him was a jerk i was with on and off for 7 yrs. hes a jerk and doesnt deserve to be a man after how he treated me. after leaving 11 times in 7 yrs i finally got enough b/c he beat sense into me and i left and its been 6 mths or more and i havent returned and i dont plan to.

when i wasnt with him for 6 mths there was this other jerk who turned out to be on any drug imaginable and he stole money from me.

then there was another which there's nothing to talk about there.

then one that tried way too hard and only jokes he had was about sex and that was a major turn off. then there was one that was way older than and reminded me of my dad so that was just nasty.

my first love lasted almost 2 yrs until he cheated on me 2 weeks before our 2 yr anniversary.

I have been cheated on I know 3 times and well all mine in the past were jerks and i prayed all those years for a good man and I think he's finally sent me one.

if none of this makes sense then u need to come view my blog from day one. i dont mention all of those guys but i know i mention at least 2 or 3.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...