SWEET TEA

Friday, June 27, 2014

Moody Beauty

It's been a busy week on the bayou, playing "catch up" after being away for a week.  Not complaining, just stating a fact. . .

It seems that Mom and my sister did very well while we were away.  My sister also reported that Boudxy was a "very good and smart boy".  Extra treats for Boudxy!!


While we were away Mom had to miss her weekly hair appointment - that's happened once before and didn't seem to be a big deal.  This time it WAS a big deal.  She refused to go to church Sunday because of her hair.  I understand that, however during the entire weekend she was very withdrawn.  I suspected perhaps she was angry that we had not taken her with us on vacation.  I talked with her and tried to "draw her out".  She didn't seem angry.  Hmmm?  Then on Monday she refused to come to the table for dinner, saying "I look awful and don't want to leave my room".  It was her hair that was causing all the angst.  I brought her dinner to her on a tray, but explained that after her hair appnt on Thursday we'd need to go back to eating dinner with the family.

Yesterday was "Beauty Shop Day".  Afterwards we went to lunch, then for ice cream, and on to the Library.  She looks beautiful and seems right back on track.

How we look really affects how we feel.
I've always felt that way.

Problem solved!


Do you think our appearance factors into our mood?
What say ye?


17 comments:

Jackie See said...

I love your blog and I am in the same boat with my mom, who just turned 85. A change in routine can turn into mood changes. Sometimes I have to laugh when we try to schedule a new event, Mom is the one that is the most un-flexible! Others who are working and have kids need to do the adjusting to her schedule! It is downright funny at times!

Terra said...

That is good you figured out the cause of her mood, that she wanted a hair appointment. I guess many people as they age insist on routine. You sound like a fabulous daughter.

Linda said...

you are a wonderful daughter!

Wild Oregonian said...

I agree with you- my hair does seem to affect a few more things than I really want to admit. I feel better and more like "me" with shoulder length or longer hair.
And in the mornings, if it "turns out" great, I feel sassy all day.

Nonnie said...

I'm glad she wasn't upset about the vacation.
But I sure understand about the "Hair thang!" When my hair isn't cut right, I feel somewhat irritated because it just doesn't look the way I want. And when the humidity is high and my hair goes wacky, yes, it affects the way I feel about myself.
The day out with you and getting back to her normal routine probably was great medicine.

Beth J said...

I can remember occasions when my hair was not right and yes, hair is a BIG deal when it's not right. I think that's why most women dont wait for haircuts. If we need a haircut, we get out immediately and get it done! Definitely hair care affects our emotions...

Jeanie said...

I do have to admit that how I look affects how I feel, but I'm also pretty sure no one else really cares. :)
Your mom is so lucky to have you!

Chatty Crone said...

I would have to say a definite yes these days.

Miss Dishywoo said...

Oh my goodness, yes! Always has, always will. A good hair day - I am on top of the world and all is well. A bad hair day puts everything a little off kilter. So glad your mom was able to get her hair done and feels better now. Also good to hear that all went well with your sister staying with her.

Debby Ray said...

I do agree that the way we look affects our mood...at least it does mine. I feel much more confident when my hair fixed and make-up is on. It never fails though...on weekends or if I am running out for a quick errand, I run in to people I know and I am sooo wanting to go find the biggest hole to hide in! I think it is so sweet that your mama at her age still cares about the way she looks!

Aloha Acres said...

I agree 100%. If you look good, you feel good and I'm all about my hair!

marejohn said...

Well there ya go...glad the problem (for that moment) was solved!
You do so so well with all that life has thrown your way!
Such a blessing you are to so many in your life...
M

Linda said...

Yes..I do believe having a bad hair day or makeup day (don't ask,lol) can result in a bad mood. What a wonderful daughter you are. Blessings

Unknown said...

Glad u found reason & now that she has her hair done all is well. For me, hair can be a reason for how I am feeling or doing, too. U find the right words to handle your mother so well.

yaya said...

I'm glad she's back to her beautiful self! Some people don't seem to mind how they look...just go to Wal-Mart on any given day and watch! I do feel better and more apt to venture out when I think I look presentable. You're a sweet and caring daughter to find out the problem and then make it all better...Your Mom's a lucky gal!

Marsha Young said...

We try to deny it - we hem and haw and say "it doesn't really matter" - but the fact is HECK YES - how we look does affect our mood.

Right now, I hate my hair and that has been going on for weeks. It has only happened once or twice before in my whole life, but I'm just saying...it's a mess and I feel like one. :)

Linda said...

Absolutely!!!!!
Good job, YOU!!! Your mother may not appreciate you as she would in times past - but you are so wonderful to her!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...