SWEET TEA

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Rant.

Behold!
A work of art.
A stroke of Genuis.


A person should definitely "write for their readers".
It's a fact.
With that thought in mind today's post is about "SIPPY CUPS".  What?  You don't find the subject fascinating?  Please hear me out, after all, what fun is it to rant if no one's listening?

Lately I've invested BIG bucks ($$) in all types, styles, and models of SIPPY CUPS.  (Sorry, but I can't even say the words, SIPPY CUP without shouting.)  It was so much simpler when my kids were little.  There were very few SIPPY CUPS at that time and the ones available were simple- a plastic cup with handles which had a lid with a small slit in it to drink from.  Have you looked at SIPPY CUPS lately?  They're complicated and have numerous parts and most include a straw of some type along with all sorts of colorful lids/tops.  Trouble is after one use it's necessary to disassemble the cup, clean it well, then put it all back together again (think "Rubic's cube"), at which time it's supposed to be usable again.

You don't want to know how much time I've spent cleaning these things, searching for lost straws, and trying to figure out why it's not working the second time out.  I've also searched in stores and on-line trying to find replacement straws cause heaven only knows not just any ol' straw will work.  Noooooo, you must have a particular type of straw that only fits that manufacturer's brand of SIPPY CUP.

Today there wasn't a straw in the entire house that would match up with the workings of the SIPPY CUPS we have.  So what's a YaYa to do -I made my own, sort of.  I made a small cut into a bottle nipple then put it into the bottle inverted and screwed the lid on.  Then I put a generic straw through the inverted nipple,  and  Wah Lah!  It worked!!  Little Missy took to it easily
and I may have gloated, strutted and sang my own praise for a while.  
It was glorious!  
Perhaps I need to patent this idea (?).
I'm getting a little carried away.

Later Lil' Mama came home from school and I did what normal people do in such a situation. . .

I went shopping and bought 6 more new cups.

I.Am.A.Woman.Obsessed.
Which is probably why God
intended that menopausal women
not give birth.







20 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Hey great idea!
Cathy

karen said...

I feel your pain on the issue of sippy cups. It's the one thing that drives me nuts when I visit the littles - the sheer number of parts for each cup! (And heaven help me if I find one in a dark corner with old milk in it...) Your granddaughter is adorable!

Anonymous said...

you are a clever woman!! I know exactly what you're talking about, when I did dishes at my daughters it was like a puzzle, all these cups with the rubbery straws that have to go in a certain way, oh my gosh, babies have become so complicate! That is one beautiful baby by the way!

arkie said...

I gave up on the "new" sippy cups and went with Tupperware cups. Saw on pinterest today the idea of using press'n seal on a cup then poking in a straw. Who would have thought!!!

Your granddaughter is getting so big! Cutie!

20 North Ora said...

Hi! I know exactly how you feel! I have great grandchildren and so, naturally, I keep sippy cups available for them. They never match up again once they are disassembled. The straws get ruined in the dishwasher. What a pain. And so many of the ones that say they won't leak - still do. I didn't mean to rant either! LOL I am your newest follower.

Judy

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

I am smiling and maybe having a little giggle too. Loved your post, so darn true.
Joy

Mary said...

Totally brilliant idea. When my daughter was a toddler, the sippy cups drove me crazy, instead of a slit you could easily wash with a bottle brush, there'd be an inch or longer hard plastic tube part of the lid, serving as a straw, which was difficult to clean.

NanaDiana said...

Oh- the sippy- the sad, sad sippy- where one lid fits none and no lids fit all-where the holes get bitten and chewed or poked open to hold a straw.
I wish I knew how many I had -WAY too many...and a couple of bottles thrown in for good luck- xo Diana

Anonymous said...

You have got a great idea. I will follow it again for my kids.

Jeanie said...

Very clever and that cute, cute picture of little HK shows that you got the job done. My grandkids are getting old enough that I am almost done with sippy cups but I still have parts everywhere.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Very creative! No I haven't seen sippy cups in 30 years....

Miss Dishywoo said...

Not currently in a sippy cup phase of life, but can relate anyway! You were genius with your invention. If you do decide to market this idea, you must use Little Missy's picture drinking from it as your advertisement. She'd sell a million.

SouthLakesMom said...

I was such a mean mom...if they wanted to use a cup without a lid, they had to sit at the table. If they wanted a sippy cup, they could only drink water (i.e. if they were taking it anywhere else in the house). That way, it didn't matter if it tipped over and leaked some (which all sippy cups did) because it was just water. So, the table became the place for milk or the occasional juice (I was a mean mom about that too), and soda didn't exist in our house when they were little. Beautiful teeth and no problems until the orthodontia days...

Susie said...

After a small collection of cups,straws and lids...you just can't find the right combination...have to throw them out and start over. LOL. I liked the old original sippy cup. xoxo,Susie

Rick Watson said...

We keep our great nephew and I feel like I need an instruction manual when we disassemble it for washing.

Nonnie said...

Lol. I feel your pain. We have all kinds of snippy cups in our cabinet and have gotten rid of so many I can't keep up with them. The ones with the straws bug me because Jack likes to play with the lids and straws and flip liquid out!! I recently did a search for a leakproof cup and bought Contigo cups for them. I take great care in washing and drying these things out to keep them clean. And I also only let them drink water from them. They would rather drink out of Grandpa's frosty mugs. Proud of you for finding a solution for HK so quickly. Playtex sippy mugs worked pretty good.

Bobbie said...

LOL!! I swear... sometimes I think we MUST be related!! And speaking of sippy cups... Gary just brought home a ten dollar (ahemmm) non spill do-dad cup for Summer. Your supposed to tip it and suck on the end and... well, it didn't work for me but it did for him. Go figure. It's one of those As Seen On TV gizmo's.
Your granddaughter is precious!!

yaya said...

I hate it when I go to grab a cup from my supply and the whole shebang comes tumbling down on my head! How in the heck did we ever raise our kiddos with only one or two simple cups? I agree with you...birthing is for the young! I think your Grandkiddo is adorable!

Aloha Acres said...

You always make me smile! :)

CalamityJr said...

Maybe I've been away from toddler housewares for too long, or maybe it's too many years of working in a dental office, but straws in a sippy cup??? That's not sipping, and I don't believe it's good for those tiny teeth. Next time nothing matches and you have to buy more, I'd suggest trying to find the old-fashioned kind. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...