SWEET TEA

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Sweet August


The school bus goes by each afternoon.
And, the sales fliers in the paper all shout "back-to-school".  I must admit that I miss all the excitement of having a school girl and/or school boy in our house.  Those were sweet times.  Lil' Mama had her first day today as a full time college student.  I love it, but it's just not the same.  She did all the prep - bought her own supplies, as well as her clothes.  Rightly so.  But I still miss it - having little chicks with school lunch boxes and new pencils - If you have this in your life right now, enjoy it.

Enough time spent on nostalgia, there's always somethun' happening around here to keep me occupied.


Here's the condensed version of our weekend. . .
Friends we haven't seen in 15+ years, or even talked to in probably 7 yrs. contacted us to say they were in Houston and would love to stop by that afternoon to spend the night and go to church with us the next morning.  They had their own plane so making a stop in LA would be sort of "on their way home" to Okla.  They came, we visited, and then they were gone.  It was so good to see them, but it all seems a bit surreal right now - sort of like I heard about it, but am not sure it really happened.  Know what I mean?


The weather is still hot and humid here, but change is in the air - our evenings are beginning to be a little cooler.  I can actually "smell" Fall in the air, even in the daytime. Whoa, sweet August!
Please slow down and stay a bit longer!
  
That's it from the Bayou on this mid August day.
Did I mention this is my very FAVORITE time of the year?




10 comments:

Jeanie said...

I would love to keep August with us a while longer also, but it seems to be speeding by. Even though the weather doesn't seem like it, it feels like summer is over with all the kids going back to school. I wish they could wait until after Labor Day.

NanaDiana said...

I know! It is almost the end of summer,isn't it? As much as I LOVE Fall- I am so missing our summer that was so short. Fun that your friends popped in for a short visit. Hope you have a great week and your girl has a good first week of college- good for her! xo Diana

karen said...

This year has FLOWN by! I love the end of summer - so many fun things to cram in. I don't have any school age children anymore, but I'm experiencing it through my grandchildren. Glad you had fun with your friends, but I know what you mean. Quick visits aren't enough to really soak it all up.

Cheri said...

Oh...I know what you mean about no more school age children, I miss it too. For the past 7 years I have tried to get use to being an "empty nester" and still can't. My grands don't live close by to even get into the "school" thing with them. The Good Ole Days...ah.

SouthLakesMom said...

We start after Labor Day and I still have one in high school. The college girl goes back on Saturday. In some ways, I can't WAIT until they're both in a routine each day that doesn't include me after 7:30 am. Then I can go out for those lovely September bike rides that just make me feel SO alive!

Marsha Young said...

I'm glad you are enjoying August. Guess it just goes to prove that it is "different strokes for different folks."

August is not one of my favorites - 'cause we are usually about baked to a crisp here in Nor. Calif. by this month of the year.

But I can sure relate to missing the "getting ready for school with the kids." My grands do not live close either, so I don't get to horn in on their activities very often.

Enjoy your summer wind down. :)

Tammy said...

Sooner than you think you'll be helping that precious granddaughter get ready for school, so enjoy the break while you can. Sounds like you've been busy. Like you I'm starting to smell fall in the air, I love fall-it's my favorite season. Hugs!!

Linda said...

You do have some pretty cool adventures!! I am ALWAYS ready for August to leave! Glad Lil' Mama is doing so well. You are one busy lady!!

Unknown said...

This year period flying by, seems summer is leaving so quickly. Do enjoy Fall actually Spring & Fall my favorites...older I get seem to enjoy them all ;-).

Bobbie said...

I will admit, I do miss the chaos and the excitement of sending the kiddies off to school... Rissi starts first grade tomorrow. They grow up too fast...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...