SWEET TEA

Friday, June 21, 2013

Do you want a GOLD STAR?

What a treat it was to take two of our Granddolls on a vacation to Washington, DC.  Don't know who was the most excited, me and Mister, or the two girls. (?)  Here are some highlights of our trip.  (I can hear you sighing. LOL)

In the Tulsa International airport waiting  to "board".  This was the first flight for the girls.

Seat belts were buckled and they were ready for "take-off".  The youngest granddoll had not been able to sleep for the two previous nights because she was soooooo excited about the trip.

This is what she did on the flight.



Not bad digs, huh?

Who knew that Abe was alive and wandering the streets of DC?

Part of the WWII Memorial


The girls and I posing with Eleanor Roosevelt.  This was actually one of my very favorite memorials - very well done.  Eleanor is the only first lady to have a public statue of herself.  (Yep, learned that on the tour.)  The memorial was small, but very moving.

The Capitol.
Notice the iron fence that blocks the steps.  Very sad it has come to this.  When I say we had to walk a mile, uphill to enter from a back entrance, I am not exaggerating.  Then we went  through a security check which is the same type you go through at the airport.

This is the view from the back porch at Mount Vernon.  Awesome to know that George Washington and Martha sat here and enjoyed the same view of the Potomac River.


I don't like to name drop, BUT, I actually met George and his step-daughter Lizzy.


We had great fun at The Kennedy Center.
The play we saw was an upbeat, interactive, comedy, "who-dun-it" type.  We all loved it!


The Pentagon Mall.
Four stories tall - need I say more?!

We had some time for silliness along the way.


And we also had some time for 4 small cups of ice cream (1 1/2 scoop ea.) to the tune of $25!

It was a memory-maker type of trip and I'm so very thankful it all worked out where we could go.  Lil' Mama and Haylee Kate stayed home alone for the entire week.  Lil' Mama is taking a summer college class and she managed to care for HK, go to class, maintain the house, and even arranged for a babysitter while she was in class.  She was very proud of herself for this accomplishment, and we are proud of her also.  I KNEW she could do it, and now she knows she can too - a great confidence builder.  Mom is back with us now after spending a month with my Sister, so we are getting back into the routine.  The fact that it's Summer    makes me think I can deal with anything that comes my way!

*If you read this entire post you get a GOLD STAR!



18 comments:

Wild Oregonian said...

Yay! I get a gold star! I have missed your posts; glad all is well, everyone is safe and home and happy. :)

Nonnie said...

Gimme that gold star. What a lot of great pics! A trip to Washington D.C.has been on my bucket list since I was 15. Looks like you had a great time with those beautiful grand dolls. I love the sleeping pic!

And proud of Lil Mama, too. She is all "growed up."

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Lovely trip, great news catch up.
Joy

Jane said...

What a fun trip you had! Love your sharing the pictures, too.

Jane

Susan said...

I enjoyed this post. Thanks for the star!

Jeanie said...

What a great trip for those girls...really for all of you. It looks like you hit many of the hight spots. There is so much to see there.
Kudos to Lil Mama. Building that confidence will make all the difference.

Aloha Acres said...

I got a gold star!
:)
You are so funny.

What a great trip. Makes me want to go.

marejohn said...

May I have my gold star now?? That was the easiest gold star I've ever earned!! Loved the post. Praying time with mom is good for all of you.

Linda said...

I get a STAR! I loved your post! FUN! Just what you needed! It brought back memories of when I visited DC and I loved seeing your pics!

Tammy said...

Wow, I earned a gold star and got to read an interesting post and see great pictures, hooray for me. Your trip sounds fabulous and what a great experience for your granddaughters.

yaya said...

I love DC! We used to go every summer when our kids were little. (We''re 7hrs away) Even going that often, I still haven't seen it all. How great that you could take your sweet granddaughters! Giving them their first plane ride is awesome!

Bobbie said...

Yay! A gold star for me! And it looks like you all had a great time! Happy Summer!

SouthLakesMom said...

Gold star!

I live here in DC so I'm glad you found my city hospitable.

I will say the mall is called "Pentagon City Mall".

It is too bad about the Capitol steps and that the White House is closed to tours. The fear of terrorism and lack of Congressional fiscal responsibility have take a lot of fun out of tourism in DC.

Glad the for LM and HK too.

Ellie said...

What a great post and also a great trip for you all. Your 2 grand-daughters looks as if they really enjoyed it too :)
Thanks for putting your pics up, it's a great way for me to see places I might otherwise see.
Thanks for coming over for a visit to my blog :))

Joanna Jenkins said...

What a fantastic, memory-filled trip for you and the girls. They'll be talking about this for the rest of their lives! I love that.

And thanks, I'll take that gold star :-)

xo jj

Micupoftea said...

Yahoo...gold star for me! haha-- NICE post. How blessed you are to have taken a trip with your beautiful family. Scenic and historic photos, too! Hope to visit Mt Vernon someday.Happy summertime,
Shawn

Mary said...

I love sitting on those rockers at Mt. Vernon!
Proud of Lil Mama...I know she feels accomplished!

Kay G. said...

I've never been to D.C. Thanks for sharing!
Your daughter sounds very capable,
just like her MOM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...