SWEET TEA

Sunday, March 3, 2013

_ed Le_ _er D_ y

I know every family has the occasional "red letter" day, a day that is significant in the history of a family.  Friday was one of those days for us.

We got up and left the house at 5:15 am on Friday and made the 6 hour drive to Tulsa, Oklahoma to appear in court at 1:30.  The issue was basically to decide what the future would look like for our Mom.  My sister and I met at the courthouse with out attorney.  Mom arrived shortly thereafter with her attorney.  The great news for that day was that my sister and I were made co-Guardians for our Mom. It was also decided that Mom would come to live with my family in Louisiana, but would also have extended visits with my sister and her family at certain times during the year.  This was a win/win, in that it will provide for the best care and also the freedom to move between the states of Oklahoma and Louisiana at will.  Mom has been diagnosed with dementia and our goal is to help her live her best life, with as much freedom and opportunity for happiness as we can make possible.

Now we're about the business of doing just that.
Yesterday we took Mom out for Mexican food.
Today we went to church then drove around our town showing her the sights.
Then of course we needed some lunch, so today it was Italian food.
Tomorrow we'll begin to find some type of routine that is hopefully pleasing to everyone.

Let it be known that I have the best husband in the world.


You can be sure there will be lots of stories ahead as we all make the adjustment to living under the same roof.


15 comments:

Mari said...

I'm glad you are done with that step. Yes - you have a wonderful hubby!

Unknown said...

Your life is about to become more of a roller coaster than ever--lots of twists and turns, ups and downs, and endless adventures!

~Anchored In Christ~ said...

I enjoy reading your blog. I know I have missed several things. I would love for you to come by and check me out and follow me.

http://laneyg02.blogspot.com

hope your week goes great.

acorn hollow said...

what a change for you! and your mom
wishing you a easy transition.
Cathy

Nonnie said...

I am glad your Mom is with you. What a lot of changes happening with you all, but if anybody can do it, I believe it would be your family that can. Lots of love there.

Skoots1moM said...

May God bless you and your sister as you love your Mother into and through this.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Wishing you all the very very best. Make sure there is some family and you time in your new way of life. Glad the courts settled things, it makes decision making way less complicated.
Joy

Jeanie said...

Your mom is so fortunate to be getting the care you and your sister are offering. Best wishes for settling in to a day to day life that works well for everyone.

karen said...

I'm glad you've been able to take some steps forward in your mom's care. I'm watching to see what you do, as I feel I'm not far behind in what I'm experiencing with my aunt. We got her moved to her new room this past weekend - what an accomplishment! Best wishes for this new step for you. And yes - good, understanding and loving husbands make all the difference, don't they?

Linda said...

Good husbands make all the difference in the world!!!

yaya said...

I'm so happy your Mom has you and your sister to love her and also your wonderful husband to be on board for all the changes in your household. I'll keep you in my prayers for success in this red letter moment.

Wild Oregonian said...

It's nice to have a wonderful husband.
Pretty soon, he'll be living with four generations of women in one house. Yay!

Marsha Young said...

May the Lord richly bless you (AND your terrific husband) for your loving generosity in caring for your mom.

If not a single sparrow falls, but that he notices, he will not overlook your loving kindness.
We will look forward to your tales of family living and learning. :)

jual busana muslim murah 2013 said...


good job Thanks lot for this useful article, nice post

Rhona said...

Hoping that things are going well and that your Mom is feeling "at home" with you. Life will be different but hopefully all will go well xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...