SWEET TEA

Saturday, March 17, 2012

It's not the green . . .

I love me a St. Paddy's day!
It has nothing to do with the Irish
or the "wearin' o the green",
though all those things are great.

But it does have to do with the
fact that I brought our first baby
home from the hospital on this
fine day, many years ago.  And
yes, we dressed our little
6 lb 6oz red-haired bundle
in a green dress for the ocassion!

I wanted to scan a photo for you to
see but Mister is napping and I can't
seem to figure out how to do it.


On "going home day" our little
family went to my parents house
to spend the first few days.
I feel so fortunate to have had my
Mom "teach" me about caring for
a newborn, as we were young and
there were no classes available
and I hadn't a clue what to do with
this precious miracle wrapped in
a blanket.  No books needed as
Grandma was a wealth of information.

Those were sweet days.


If you want to visit my grown up red-haired
bundle of joy you'll find her blogging
HERE.  Please tell her that "Mom"
sent you by to say hello.

Did your Mom teach you about babies?
Did you teach your adult child about babies?

I am reminded of a story about this daughter
when she brought her first baby home from
the hospital, but I'll save it for another day.

Happy St. Paddy's Girlfriends!

16 comments:

Shelly said...

What sweet memories of this day! I'll head over to your daughter's blog in just a bit. My mom and my grandma taught me how to take care of babies, and one day when we have grandchildren, I'll do the same with my kids.

Aloha Acres said...

Our first was born on a Friday and my husband was leaving to go to sea on Monday. My mother came to stay with me (this was huge ... she lived in MS and lived in CT).

That time is some of the best memories I have of my mother. I'm a middle child and that's the only week I ever had alone with her. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful, sweet memory. I kind of learned on my own-catch as catch can. You were so lucky...and how wonderful!Happy St. Paddy's Day! xo Diana

Linda said...

No wonder this day is special for you! I am off to visit your daughter's blog! Thanks for the link!

Mari said...

Happy Birthday to your redhead! I have 2 of them myself, but none born on St Patricks day.
I'm off to visit her.

Cheri said...

WHAT SWEET AND WONDERFUL MEMORIES. LOOK AT YOUR GRANDDOLLS...ONE OF EACH HAIR COLOR. LOVELY FAMILY.

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful story and a beautiful family, I'm going to visit right now,

Kimmy said...

What a lovely memory!! A fun way to celebrate the day too :o)

Happy Birthday to your daughter!!

yaya said...

Happy Birthday to her! You have a beautiful family. My first child spent the first 2 months of his life in an incubator in ICU so I had a little time to figure out how to take care of him! That was 36yrs ago and he has 4 kiddos of his own now so I guess I did OK!

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter, and I will go and visit her! Have a glorious evening!

Chatty Crone said...

Were you in that picture? Great memories of this day. I will check out her blog. sandie

Unknown said...

Awwww, I hope she has a wonderful birthday. I was hoping to see the picture of the red haired kiddo in green. I'm heading over to say hi and happy birthday.

Unknown said...

Awwww, I hope she has a wonderful birthday. I was hoping to see the picture of the red haired kiddo in green. I'm heading over to say hi and happy birthday.

My Mind's Eye said...

What a beautiful post...
Hugs Madi and Mom

karen said...

Oh my goodness - I never realized what a genius my mother was until I had my first baby. The woman is Mother Nature and The Baby Whisperer combined! Couldn't have done it without her.

Laura said...

This post was a great reminder.
Because my husband was working out of town, our first baby daughter and I went home to my mother's.

Those are some of my most cherished memories.

I went and stayed with that same daughter when she had her babies.

Oh how I loved that time.

Thank you for reminding me.

Laura
White Spray Paint

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...