SWEET TEA

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Love You Forever

Have you read this little children's book?
It's been in print for a very long time
so chances are you are familiar with it.

I happened across the book again recently
and was vividly reminded
of the first time I saw it.

Our youngest son was in college
and Mister and I had gone to visit him one weekend.
During the visit we went through a local mall
to pick up some college things for him.
(College kids are always needy, aren't they?!)
One of our stops was the bookstore at the mall.

In the bookstore there was a display
featuring the "Love You Forever" book.
Son says, "Oh Mom, have you seen this book?"

I picked up the book and began to quickly
read through it.

Then I began to CRY!
Not just a little,
a LOT,
the crying one does when they
can't catch their breath.
The ugly-screw-up-your-face
cry.

People began to look.
We exited the store.
Son and Mister were astounded
as I am one that N-E-V-E-R
cries.  (well, rarely, and only when
I'm alone, with the door shut)
Son is flustered and apologetic
and Mister is shaking his head
and confused.

I vowed to N-E-V-E-R read this
book again.
It is more than I can handle.
I.Am.Weak.
And.I.Am.Vulnerable.
When.I.Read.Those.Words.

*Fast-Forward with me to
6 weeks later*

It was Mother's Day.
I was dressed in my new dress
and thrilled that all our children
were coming in from college to
attend church with us on this
special day.

The BIG church was packed,
pew to pew, aisle to aisle.
We sang.  We prayed.

and THEN

the Children's Minsiter made
a few comments about this special
day, "Mother's Day".
And for this special occasion
she had chosen to read a story,
"Love You Forever".

I looked to the right of me.
I looked to the left of me.
There was no way of exiting
the crowded pew quickly.
I mentally recited the alphabet;
I went to the "happy place"
in my mind,
but there was no ignoring
those words.

I made an awful scene.
There was lots of noisey crying,
snot-slinging, and hic-upped sobs.


I simply couldn't quit crying
I lumbered across the laps
of the people seated on our pew
as I made my way to the aisle
and out the back door.

This was not my finest moment.
I still don't understand
why this book upsets me so.
Perhaps it has something to
do with the passing of time
and little boys growing
into grown men.

Happy Birthday to our
baby boy, Tate!
I wish we could be with you today.
~Mom

19 comments:

CalamityJr said...

Awww... Thanks for sharing something so personal. I think it may have hit you harder because (emphasis on because) you "found" this book on the very day your son was spreading his wings. You may not be one to show those deep tears often, but they are there inside all of us, and you just "happened" to find the trigger one difficult (even though happy) day. Blessings to you!

Mari said...

I love that book! I read it to my kids and I think it's so sweet. I already bought it for my unborn grandaughter!

Nonnie said...

I love that book!!! And it makes me weep - I can not read it aloud without bawling my head off. I gave a copy of it to Sara and Amy when they had their babies. Happy Birthday to your son - sorry you can't be with him today. Okay, I'm tearing up now - gotta go.

Bobbie said...

I know the book and I don't think you're alone in your meltdown when reading it... It's one of those books!! Bless your heart. It seems that you may take it a little harder than most.
A writing that makes me cry is Wet Oatmeal Kisses by Erma Bombeck. Ugh!!

Shelly said...

I L-O-V-E this book. It still makes me cry. Happy birthday to your sweet son!

Jo said...

I love that book. I just bought that book for my unborn great grandson. I think it is so sweet but it did make me cry the first I read it. I was thinking of my own son who was an army ranger at the time. Happy birthday to Tate.

SouthLakesMom said...

We read it over and over to our children when they were little. The battered copy is in our "don't throw this away" box. I'm sure they'll fight over the one copy some day.

Once I recited the entire thing to a friend of mine when we were driving somewhere together. She hadn't heard of it, so I "told" her the story. By the time we got to our destination, we were both in tears.

Sons are so precious. Happy day to you and yours.

NanaDiana said...

I KNEW there was another ME out there. I cannot read that book to my grandkids without crying. AND it just does the same thing to me EVERY SINGLE TIME! There is another book that has the same effect on me..It is about a cat that lost it's mother...I become a blubbering fool! xo Diana

Lisa said...

If it makes you feel any better, I am the same way about this book. I bought it when my son was a toddler because I'd heard so much about what a wonderful book it was, etc. etc. I tried reading it to him that evening and I was bawling. Sobbing big ugly sobs, huccuping, the whole works. My poor baby is looking at me and wondering what's wrong with his mom. I STILL cannot read that dadgum book - even though I love it.

Texskiss said...

Oh my goodness~~I haven't read this book in years but it's tucked in my craft closet. I may need to go read it again as I've forgotten all but it is super sweet and sad!! My daughter is leaving for college in 1 1/2 years and I ALREADY cry thinking about her leaving! You'll need to mop me up off the floor when she does go~~being a parent is rough! :)

MunirGhiasuddin said...

Happy Birthday to your son. Babies become people and that is all I can say. Glad you opened up and wrote about something so personal. Good for you:)

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Oh honey now you have me crying. I am so sorry this book effected you this way. Now I have to find it and read it myself but then I don't want to cry either. lol
I just spent the day with my middle son him helping me with the house in town. It is hard to be a mom and our children grow up and away even though that is the way it is suppose to be it is still hard on us.
God Bless you sweetie and thanks for sharing this with us
Love
Maggie

Chatty Crone said...

I love that book and my kids had it and I gave them both that book for their children.

Happy birthday to you son Tate - you have wonderful kids.

sandie

yaya said...

I know the book, I know the feeling...it's one of those stories that touches your soul..it's OK to cry. Really it is!

Mary said...

I turn into a blubbering idiot when that book is read.

Jill said...

This is one of my all time favorite books ever! It always makes me cry...

Have a wonderful week!

Blessings,
Jill

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Oh, you poor darling. So far, I've only blubbered in the quiet of my closed-door bedroom. But yes, I'm like you over my grown children. Is it menopause?

Unknown said...

I do the same thing with that book, so I try to avoid it at all costs!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I have somehow missed that book. Now I have to go find it. I am a sentimental one too, so maybe I better buy it and hide in my bedroom to read it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...