SWEET TEA

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Joy. Loss. And other sticky subjects.



One of the purest joys of Fall is the annual jar of Apple Butter which I buy each year.
I love the stuff,
be it fancy or be it plain,
and I've had both kinds.
The best I've ever had was bought from an Amish Family, homemade at their kitchen stove. I'm not privy to that type this year, but the jar of Bama Apple Butter I just bought is pretty darn good. Truth is I'm not terribly particular, which is one reason I have never tried to make it myself. If one can buy perfection at a reasonable price, why bother?


My oldest daughter, who is now a Mom herself,
shares my joy of the sweet, sticky, appley treat.
When she was about 6 years old we went to the
grocery store to buy our annual jar.
She choose the biggest jar on the shelf and proudly
placed it in our shopping cart.
Returning home she was "helping" me unsack all the groceries
when the HUGE jar of Apple Butter slipped through her small fingers.
Her eyes grew wide and overflowed with tears
as she viewed the floor which was covered with a mix
of the gooey jelly and sharp fragments of glass.
It was a total loss; she would not be consoled.
She stood sobbing, a six-year old with a broken heart,
so yes, we bought another HUGE jar to replace the broken one. . .
This is yet another of those family stories that are often repeated
when the family gathers to reminisce.

BTW, do you wonder why I only buy Apple Butter in the Fall?

It's because of an unwritten rule -

"Apple Jelly is for Spring,
Apple Butter is for Fall -
all other times Grape Jelly rules."

11 comments:

Gladys said...

But when do you eat Fig Peserves.

Unknown said...

I'm so with you. I also have a rule..homemade caramel and homemade caramel apples for the fall. I make it twice during the fall season and then back off because if not, I will eat the caramel straight from the container. Yum, apple butter.

Handsome's wife said...

I love Apple Butter too. When I was a kid my mom made it every year. Those were the days. Yummy!

chocdrop said...

Apple butter is good. We have what they call apple butter making days festival every year in Oct.

KBeau said...

Now you've gone and made my mouth water. Guess I'll be making a trip to the store today.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I haven't had any apple butter for years! Now I want to go get some -- I do have some pumpkin butter in the pantry.

Unknown said...

I'll eat apples in just about any way, shape, or form--except as juice or butter! Glad to see you back. Missed you!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Aww such a sweet story about your daughter. I'm the only one at home that likes...loves apple butter.

Anonymous said...

As usual, I guess I only half-listened. I love apple butter, but I'm happy to eat it year round!

(Your bad middle child...)

Joyful said...

I love apple butter too! And I think it's good for you (unless you put it on pound cake). Going to get some tomorrow.

Kat said...

I Just love apple butter too! And it really does say fall to me. Alas, no one else in the family likes it much. Oh well, more for me lol. Kathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...