SWEET TEA

Monday, May 18, 2009

Bucket Garden

Photobucket

My Bucket Garden
July 2008

This was my little garden last summer.
"Eat your heart out Martha Stewart!"
Yes, it was strange a bit unorthodox and perhaps
(Shh! I'm whispering) "a little bit tacky,"
but nonetheless it was my experiment
and given daily doses of water from
ye old water hose, it in return gave
me these. . .

Photobucket
Beautiful, vine ripe, red tomatoes,
which looked like this.
Half of my yield looked like this.

Darn birds!

They were consistent, sneaking into my
Bucket domain and literally "enjoying
the fruit of m y labor". Not to be
outdone I tied streamers to the fence
so they would blow in the wind and
frighten the feathery bandits away.
The streamers blew,
but the pesky birds continued
their heist.


Not to be outdone I dug deep into
my Fall storage and brought out a
Halloween Scarecrow and placed
it in the middle of the group of
buckets. . .But the birds perserverd
as the Scarecrow looked on.

Then. . .
One evening as I peered from my window,
this is what I saw -

Photobucket
I had been
out-witted, out-played, and out-lasted
by a "wascally wabbit"!

16 comments:

Jill of All Trades said...

Yeah those pesky wabbits can be a pain, especially for the low hanging fruit.

Unknown said...

You might google straw bale gardening. We recently had a class about it at our church and it seemed easy enough.

Also, try sprinkling cayenne pepper on the leaves--that stopped rabbits and deer from eating my flowers!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

darn those wascally wabbits. Love the garden pics...there is nothing better than a vine ripened tomato. I could eat them by themselves like apples. I love tomatoes. Have a Happy Monday my dear friend!

Just SO said...

That darn wabbit!!

Gladys said...

those wascally wabbits have eaten all of my grass, my herbs and 1/2 my oleanders. Evidently they've never read the book White Oleander.

SusanD said...

You are too funny. You might try marigolds around your plants. They always worked for me in my garden. Blessings, SusanD

Joyce said...

At least you know they are eating a healthy diet:) I can never figure out why they like my garden better then the neighbors garden?
Joyce

Gravity Gardener said...

Bucket Gardens do have their advantages. Portable, easier to keep the bunnies out and they allow us to recycle those old buckets.

Tacky, yes, but they are easy, free and grow great crops.

I created a hanging bucket garden planter for $1.50 and made a quick PDF book on my process steps with pictures if interested.

momof3girls said...

oh I am so sorry those tomato looked so big and juicy (I guess I should ask the rabbit how they tasted) Well I wish you good luck on the rest of your crop!

Sue said...

And I bet he littered your yard with all sorts of little pellets, huh? Those little suckers are cute, but pesky and messy! They are, however, less invasive than the little mole problem I am experiencing.... check this out- http://sullivanandmurphy.blogspot.com/2009/04/making-mountain-out-of-mole-hill.html :-)Sue

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. And I promise to keep your secret safe that there is more out there than ponytails for a little girls hair! :) Sorry about your lovely tomatoes! Dang animals!

Kay said...

Gee, that's one thing we don't have to worry about here in Hawaii. I've been scaring birds away with hanging CDs. Seems to work so far.

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

~will you try again this year?~
~silly wabbit, tomatoes are for peoples~
:)

Unknown said...

Hey, if you get a chance, go visit my daughter Lauren's blog. She has an old friend visiting Baton Rouge for the first time and is looking for things to do. I thought you'd be a perfect resource! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read this blog. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anete Hakkinen

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read the blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Kate Hakkinen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...