SWEET TEA

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Barefootin'

I went to pick Princess up after school yesterday.
Her school requires a uniform, so usually the kids all sort of blur together when they come pouring from the school doors at the end of the day.
But not yesterday.


It struck me odd that many of these uniformed scholars (?) were
*BAREFOOTED.*
Hmmmmm.
Princess was not one of them.

It seems the school was supporting a program called "Soles for Souls" which sends donated shoes to 3rd world countries that are in need of shoes.
As Princess explained this program to me I was actually quite pleased, not because she didn't give her shoes, but that she had the presence of mind to not be swayed because "everyone else was doing it", but instead stood firmly in her own shoes when many (most of her friends) around her were pitching their's.
Peer pressure is not easily dealt with when you're in the 8th grade, ya know.
Good for Princess!
I was pleased.

Then a nagging voice whispered in my ear -
"so you've raised your child to be selfish
and not care about starving children who
have no shoes of their own"?

Just wondering,
under the same circumstances, how would you have felt if your child donated their shoes without your permission

EDITED 2/26 to add:
Princess reports that many kids were sent back to school today to retreive their donated shoes from the donation box, per their parents orders...
I'm thinkin' a man must have planned this project,
we gals would have KNOWN this wouldn't fly!



5 comments:

Angela Tolsma said...

not that I'm gonna have kids. but I think I'd be pissed that they school didn't warn me ahead of time, so I could properly prepare! just a thought :)

Unknown said...

I wouldn't have liked it, either. Well, I guess it would have depended on what shoes she gave up. Parents should be given a heads up on something like that.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I don't think they can expect you to give the shoes right off the child's feet!! A little notice would of been better, that way you could send in a pair that was outgrown.

Kimmy said...

I would have been mad. I personally think that something like this should have a letter sent out to the parents who at that point can look around the house for "old" shoes to donate.

B said...

I would have thrown some type of a hissy fit about the whole thing. Gracefully though, so I didn't look like a total idiot.

Who can demand kids give up shoes without parental permission? If the school is so giving they should have bought the kids shoes to donate, they aren't cheap.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...