SWEET TEA

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dixie Land.



"Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton
Old times there are not forgotten.
Look away.  Look away.
Look away, Dixie Land.

I'd heard about cotton fields but had never actually seen one until we moved to Louisiana.  I think of cotton as "the snow of the south".  I still find it amazing to see cotton-balls growing in a field.



When Lil' Mama was in her teens we took her (and countless friends) here each year.  We went in the evening and they loved going through the corn maze full of scary creatures carrying chain saws.  This year we went during the daytime.  It was sunny and beautiful and the only creatures stirring were of the preschool and toddler variety. 







"It was a very good day". 
   ~Dormilee
     My Mom

"I agree".







10 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Yes- it was a very good day. I am glad your Mom was able to go and enjoy it, too. xo Diana

Nonnie said...

Great day in the morning, as they say! What fun pictures and beautiful day to enjoy your family and little HK. Looks like you had a lot of fun. Love all your pictures and the rendering of Dixie! It is a cool thing to see cotton growing. I always think of Gone with the Wind or Sally Field in that movie about Where the Heart is or something like that.
Hard work picking cotton.
Now when them cotton bolls get rotten you can't pick very much cotton
In them old cotton fields back home
It was down in Louisiana just about a mile from Texarkana
In them old cottonfields back home

Susie said...

The cotton field picture was very nice to see. Well I enjoyed all your pictures. So nice to see your mom and the little baby girl, how cute. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Linda said...

What a great place to go!!! I remember the movie Nonnie spoke of....Places in the Heart. It was filmed in Waxahachie, Texas.
Loved seeing your mom and family!!

acorn hollow said...

Very much like our corn mazes here.
Looks like fun for all.
Cathy

yaya said...

We don't have cotton fields but the farmers around here have many pumpkin patches and also have many ways to earn some extra income with hay rides and all kinds of mazes and fun for the family...looks like your little Momma was right..a nice day!

Joanna Jenkins said...

A very good day indeed!
Thanks for sharing it with us.

arkie said...

Love your picture of the cotton field. We have lots of cotton fields not far from us. It always makes me think of snow. We have two generations at our house. We are raising two of our grands. We need to take them both out to our local pumpkin patch soon! Looks like fun!

White Lace and Promises said...

What a great day that included Mom. I'm hoping to go with my babies to a corn maze sometime in a few years. What fun! I always thought the cotton fields looked like snow. I can remember when it got close to Fall, the cotton field behind my house looked like snow. I would turn the thermostat down low and run around the house and sing "Let it Snow let it snow, let it snow."

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

How fun your day looked. Cotton is blooming here and I love it. It is so gorgeous to look at it stretching for forever.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...