SWEET TEA

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Foodies in the City

I don't really consider myself a full-fledged "Foodie" but I do find people's likes and dislikes of food interesting.  I hope you do too.  On our trip we had no plans for where we would eat.  We were simply there to see the sights and eat "wherever" when it was mealtime.  This is some of our "Favorites" and "not-so-favorites".

We ate lunch here. 
It was a scheduled lunch stop on our
day tour.  We loved this place.

We each ordered different entrees and
we all agreed that mine was the very best,
though they were all good.
I had the Penne ala Vodka.
It was WONDERFUL!!
I'd never had it before but have just
recently heard about it several times,
once on the Rachel Ray show and then
again on The Housewives of New Jersey.
If you have a recipe for it please send it my way.
Otherwise I will find one online to try.
I've gotta figure out how to make this,
it was THAT good!

I had been told to be sure to eat some
"Frozen Hot Chocolate" while we were visiting.
I found it just "so-so".
It seemed like semi-melted chocolate ice cream
with whipped cream on top.
Not bad, but nothing special.
You could order this treat in several different
restaurants so perhaps it would have been
better at a different location.
Still, it was fun to try something new.

Granddoll and Princess had Root Beer Floats.
I don't think there is such thing as a bad
Root Beer Float.  They loved them.


Street Vendors were scattered among the city.
We wanted to be sure to eat from a vendor
at least once while we were there.
I looked for a Nathan's hotdog vendor,
but never saw one.  Sabrett vendors
were the only hotdog vendors I saw while there.


The day we went to the Met there was a vendor
who was doing a BIG business.  People got
their order then sat on the front steps and
ate as street performers entertained.
I got this hotdog. . .

The girls ordered pretzels.

The hotdog was the worst I've EVER had.
It was not just a little bad, but a LOT bad,
yet the line was long with people
ordering them.
?
The girls were disappointed with their
pretzels too - doughy and blah,
not nearly as good as the
"Annie's Pretzel's" we are
used to here.
We tried to eat them but ended up
trashing them and buying some
ice cream from the only other vendor
around.  Yes, it was ice cream for lunch.
Delicious!

We had some YUMMY NYC cheesecake
while we were there - the best I've ever had!
Unfortunately we snarffed if down
before I thought about taking a photo.

Princess also ordered some type of
Mexican buritto from a vendor
on another day and she LOVED it!

As with most things,
we felt the foods we tried
were a mixture of both
the good and the bad,
but always fun!







15 comments:

Tracy said...

wow, that's a lot of variety...I don't consider myself 'hip' on food either. I pretty much stick to my favorites and not very adventurous but my husband is a different story! He tries everything! :) fun post!

marejohn said...

OOH! Loving the info! Looks like a blast! Have been following along on my phone as it's been busy here, but definitely LOVIN' your adventure..now, wonder if/when I will be brave enough...
(is it rude to ask if the trip was "over the top" expensive?? Looks so super amazing I felt it must be!! No need to answer if you'd rather not!)
Glad you're home safely, had a great time and can proudly say you were a Brave BIG GIRL to go on this trip!

Shelly said...

Wow- you could go to NYC and just do a food tour! Glad you found some good things to eat~

Deanna said...

This is the recipe I use as a sort of jumping off point for penne alla vodka (I never seem to follow recipes exactly):
http://www.pickycook.com/pasta/vodkapennepenneallavodka.aspx

Linda said...

I am SO enjoying NYC through your eyes!!

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh I'm so glad you tried authentic
NYC Cheesecake. It took me an hour to eat mine. LOL I'll never forget my first bite way back in the 60's.

I send kudos to all of you for trying new things. You just never know when you'll run into a new taste sensation like Penne Vodka. Sounds yummy do share the recipe when you find it.
Hugs Madi and Mom

yaya said...

That hotdog doesn't even look good in the pic..sorry, but I'm from Chicago and they have the best dogs anywhere! But I will say a NY cheesecake would be soooo delish! Glad you jumped in and tried the native foods and I love that you took pics of it too! Your girls are so pretty BTW!

NanaDiana said...

Ugh- Nothing worse than getting food that you are really anticipating being good (because of the line up) and then having it taste awful. Sounds like you had a good time though...and there is no finer cheese cake than NY cheese cake! xo Diana

Jeanie said...

The penne ala vodka does look good. I will have to check out the recipe. It always fun to try local food when you travel and it sounds like you got a taste of the good and not-so-good. The frozen hot chocolate sounds like it should be good, but then I usually like anything with whip cream.

Chatty Crone said...

I think Emeril has a sauce called that - the vodka thing. lol It was good too.
Your daughter and granddaughter - beautiful.
Did your husband go too?
I would have tried a hotdog at a vendor too - I was disappointed with you too.
Cheesecakes always works.
Sandie

Skoots1moM said...

Go here: she has many AWESOME recipes and the points ;)
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/penne-alla-vodka.html

karen said...

Well, that's part of the fun - trying things you haven't tried before. Some are bound to be losers, but isn't it great when you have a good experience! We were in this little random deli one day and the owner told us all about his home made mozzarella cheese. He insisted we try it, and it was THE BEST. One of my favorite experiences.
That hotdog looked like doo-doo. I think I would have trashed it too... And it's hard to beat Annie's Pretzels.

bj said...

So fun to try all the street vendors. We do that when we go to Dallas.
Hope you had a great time...
'Gotta go now...just as I clicked off, I saw something about a Naked Cowboy...gotta ck it out...:)

nancygrayce said...

I love trying new restaurants too and have had similar experiences, although I do not think I've ever gotten anything from a street vendor...how crazy is that???

Tina Jenson said...

You should of tried some dinkies in nyc. www.facebook.com/dinkiesnyc
They're cute little desserts balls and snacks that are bite sized. I love them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...