SWEET TEA

Friday, March 12, 2010

Sour Cream Apple Squares



I took this dessert to Bunko last night
and everyone is wanting the recipe.
It.Was.Wonderful. 
(sort of a cross between a cobbler & a cake)
I served it plain but it would be EXTRA good
served w/a dollop of Vanilla Ice Cream


Sour Cream Apple Squares

1   Box Yellow Cake Mix
         (NOT the butter type)
1 stick  Margarine or butter, softened
1/4 C  Brown Sugar
1+ t.   Cinnamon
1 can  Apple Pie Filling
1 C. Sour Cream
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly grease 13X9 baking pan

Combine dry cake mix and butter until crumbly.
Remove 1/3 of this mixture and press into the
bottom of prepared baking pan, forming a
crust.

In a separate bowl: Pour Apple Pie Filling.
and with a knife, chop the apple slices into smaller
pieces. Then spread the Pie Filling over
the prepared crust.

In a small bowl lightly beat egg.
Mix the Sour Cream with the egg
and blend well.  Spread this evenly
over the apples.

Add brown sugar & cinnamon to the remaining
cake mix mixture.  Blend well.
Sprinkle this topping mix over all.


Bake 30 minutes.

*After 30 minutes I turned the broiler on for a bit
to lightly brown & crisp the top. Watch carefully
because this will happen quickly.

Let cool at least 1 hr before serving.

(I wonder what this would be like with peaches,
cherries, etc.?)

7 comments:

KTW said...

That sounds WONDERFUL! And my first thought was 'Wonder what it would be like with peaches?' (Great minds and all that...)
Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Kimmy said...

Oh boy does that sound delish!! Thanks for the recipe. Perhaps I'll make this this weekend. YUM!!

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it out!

Unknown said...

Sounds terrific! Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

I'm glad it tasted good...it looks wonderful!

Robin said...

**DROOL** That sounds so good! I must try this sometimes!

{{HUGS}}}

Robin :o)

KTW said...

Well let me tell you what I did. I didn't have enough sour cream on hand and I really wanted to make this with peaches, so I mixed up the cake mix part and patted out the bottom crust. Then I made the cream cheese portion of the danish recipe I posted here: http://kellisblessings.blogspot.com/2010/01/there-has-been-much-talk-of-cream.html
I spread out the cream cheese mixture on the crust, topped with peach pie filling (that I had run a knife through several times to cut the peaches into smaller bites) and finished off the rest of your recipe. I must say....YUMMY!!!! :) And that was just with it still warm. My favorite way to eat fruit desserts is cold so I can't wait to taste it chilled later this evening! :)
Warning: This is NOT a pick-it-up-and-eat-it kind of dessert. Definitely requires a plate and spoon or fork.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...