SWEET TEA

Friday, March 12, 2010

Sour Cream Apple Squares



I took this dessert to Bunko last night
and everyone is wanting the recipe.
It.Was.Wonderful. 
(sort of a cross between a cobbler & a cake)
I served it plain but it would be EXTRA good
served w/a dollop of Vanilla Ice Cream


Sour Cream Apple Squares

1   Box Yellow Cake Mix
         (NOT the butter type)
1 stick  Margarine or butter, softened
1/4 C  Brown Sugar
1+ t.   Cinnamon
1 can  Apple Pie Filling
1 C. Sour Cream
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly grease 13X9 baking pan

Combine dry cake mix and butter until crumbly.
Remove 1/3 of this mixture and press into the
bottom of prepared baking pan, forming a
crust.

In a separate bowl: Pour Apple Pie Filling.
and with a knife, chop the apple slices into smaller
pieces. Then spread the Pie Filling over
the prepared crust.

In a small bowl lightly beat egg.
Mix the Sour Cream with the egg
and blend well.  Spread this evenly
over the apples.

Add brown sugar & cinnamon to the remaining
cake mix mixture.  Blend well.
Sprinkle this topping mix over all.


Bake 30 minutes.

*After 30 minutes I turned the broiler on for a bit
to lightly brown & crisp the top. Watch carefully
because this will happen quickly.

Let cool at least 1 hr before serving.

(I wonder what this would be like with peaches,
cherries, etc.?)

7 comments:

Kelli said...

That sounds WONDERFUL! And my first thought was 'Wonder what it would be like with peaches?' (Great minds and all that...)
Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Kimmy said...

Oh boy does that sound delish!! Thanks for the recipe. Perhaps I'll make this this weekend. YUM!!

Beverly @ The Buzz said...

Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it out!

Debbie said...

Sounds terrific! Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

I'm glad it tasted good...it looks wonderful!

Robin said...

**DROOL** That sounds so good! I must try this sometimes!

{{HUGS}}}

Robin :o)

Kelli said...

Well let me tell you what I did. I didn't have enough sour cream on hand and I really wanted to make this with peaches, so I mixed up the cake mix part and patted out the bottom crust. Then I made the cream cheese portion of the danish recipe I posted here: http://kellisblessings.blogspot.com/2010/01/there-has-been-much-talk-of-cream.html
I spread out the cream cheese mixture on the crust, topped with peach pie filling (that I had run a knife through several times to cut the peaches into smaller bites) and finished off the rest of your recipe. I must say....YUMMY!!!! :) And that was just with it still warm. My favorite way to eat fruit desserts is cold so I can't wait to taste it chilled later this evening! :)
Warning: This is NOT a pick-it-up-and-eat-it kind of dessert. Definitely requires a plate and spoon or fork.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...