SWEET TEA

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Just how "great" was The Depression?

"Geez Lou-ezze, it's cold today!"
We Southerners are real whiney butt babies delicate when it comes to cold weather.  Granted, we don't get nearly as cold as lots of places do, but it's cold enough today to cause my nose to "drip" when I go outside.  Who knew?
I'm walking about the store minding my own business and my nose goes drip-drip-drip and of course I have not a Kleenex to be found.  So what to do? 



I wiped my dripping nose on my shirt -
just like a 3 year old. 
Embarassing!



Next time I'll be prepared.

Thinking about this brought back a "repressed" memory from my childhood.  It must have been stored in the back of my brain filed under "things to not disclose", but I'm gonna tell it anyway, as I haven't thought of this in years . . .

When I was 5 years old I stayed with my Grandma during the day while my parents both worked.  Though my Grandmother has been gone for MANY years I still have many vivid memories of times spent with her.



She had raised a family of 6 girls during "The" Depression. 

I guess most of us will never understand exactly what that must have been like.
No money. 
Mouths to feed. 
Getting by any way you could.


With that thought in mind . . .
When clothes became dirty they were thrown into the closet floor in Grandmas bedroom, where they stayed until "Wash Day".  In the meantime, anytime someone in the family needed to wipe or blow their nose it was the practice to go to the "dirty clothes" pile in the closet and GRAB anything there and BLOW or WIPE as we needed.



I'm just sayin', since I have
this in my memory bank,
I should be excused for wiping my
nose on my shirt.


I'm also sayin'
I don't think "The Depression"
was all that Great.


8 comments:

KTW said...

Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! Better wiped on your shirt than dripping down your face, that's what I say. ;)

And I think you're right...the Depression wasn't so great. :(

Unknown said...

Hahaha..those were the memories! Not long ago, I was without a kleenex as well and wouldn't you know it, my nose was running. The only thing I found to suffice was a receipt. Ouch did it hurt but it did the job! :)

Susan said...

I've seen worse solutions, believe me, you don't want to know.

chocdrop said...

I would have done the same thing.

Gladys said...

I used to have horses and my nose would run rivers of snot when mucking the stalls. I got in the habit of using the bottom of my shirt to wipe my nose. I would pull it up to my nose and wipe and go on about my business. One day I realized I was being stared at by the other muckers. What I didn't realize was my shirt was a little too short to be doing that and I was flashing the other muckers.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

This Ozarks farm chicks motto is: Whatever works! This took me back to a time in the staircase in the farmhouse I grew up where there was a shelf Mom kept her Kotex box. I was about four a thought I recognized the word on the box. Needing a Kleenex badly this four year old pulled one of the things out of the box and quickly shoved it back in using my sleeve to take care of my business. It wasn't until much later in life I realized what that darn thing was!

I just wanted to pop over and thank you for your sweet comment and hoppin' on. I sure hope ya enjoy the ride.

Have just a wonderfully blessed day, ya'll!!!

Darlene said...

That just cracks me up but you gotta do what you gotta do!!!! The childhood memory is great....how funny to blow or wipe on the dirty clothes pile!

Hope you are having a great day.♥

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. THAT is funny!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...