SWEET TEA

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Beauty...and the Beastly

Some of the natural BEAUTY of Hawaii.

No words necessary.
























Now, some of the "Beastly" strange sights
this tourist saw with her very own eyes -



Did we really need to see this?
However, it seems they are quite proud of
this in Hawaii.
  * * * * * * * * *


"Poi", anyone?
I'd heard of this native food.
It doesn't taste bad.  It doesn't taste good.
It really has no taste, IMO.

  * * * * * * * * * * * * *


My husband being "lei'd" right before my eyes.
We paid $35 for a "lei greeting"...
I envisioned a beautiful, young, Hawaiian
girl doing the honors; instead we got a
stout, middle-aged woman bearing
flowers.  LOL

   * * * * * * * * * * * *


I bought this "special" dress to wear
to the Luau. 
*Remember* this dress.
I will post about this dress
tomorrow.

  * * * * * * * * * *

Look closely at this beautiful plant.
It is called the Native Hawaiian Penis Plant.
I don't know what the locals call it,
but that's what my husband named it.
Look at the protrusion in the middle
of the plant.  *giggle

   * * * * * * * * *

"Barney Purple Bread"
We were served this several times.
Poi is a part of the recipe for this
dinner bread, which give it the
purple color.  It tastes exactly
like a typical good yeast roll.
Yummy!

   * * * * * * * *

Crazed Louisiana Hula Wanna-Be
after "the dress incident".
Obviously she had been
"affected".

   * * * * * * * * *

Check out this Tour Guide's EAR!!
It flips up...have you ever seen such a thing???
I don't think the photo really does it
justice...My husband thinks I became
obcessed with this guy's ear, but
we Bloggers live for this kind of stuff, huh?!

   * * * * * * * * *
I've LOVED re-living these moments,
the Beauty...and the Beastly,
as I shared them with you.
Thanks for comin' along for the ride!
                   "Aloha"

9 comments:

chocdrop said...

Just breathtaking!!!

BTW, the dress looked smashing on you.

Anonymous said...

I like the dress!

The lei'd thing is hilarious, by the way did I mention that I am drooling with jealousy!!!

:)

xinex said...

Hawaii has truly breathtaking sceneries. I love going there! You look good in your muumuu!...Christine

Unknown said...

LMAO@I envisioned a beautiful, young, Hawaiian
girl doing the honors; instead we got a
stout, middle-aged woman bearing
flowers.


I would much rather my husband be Lei'd by the above mentioned type...

the pics are just amazing-THANK YOU for sharing with the rest of us!!!

momof3girls said...

oh the pictures are amazing!!!!! Looks like you had fun in paradise!!!! Purple bread - well I never! How much fun, and you even strutted yourself on the dance floor!!! Woo Hoo!!!

The Rambler said...

I remember being a little girl and it was more common for the 'pretty young girls' lei-ing all the vistors as they came to Hawaii.

Times change I suppose. Things cost money.

It's cool to see the photos. The bread is probably a Taro bread. Poi is made from the Taro root. Most locals like to either put sugar or salt in their poi. Some even put Soy Sauce. And yes, some like it without anything as well.

Me. I use Rock Salt in mine.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

The shirt was at Hilo Hatties? Right? I have a picture of that same shirt. I know what you mean about the ear...since I have been blogging I find myself fascinated by the strangest things. The Hawaiian pics were awesome...and the Penis plant...in south Florida is known as a Little Boy Plant...hummmm wonder why? There were lots of oddities in Hawaii...I will agree with you on that one. I loved the dress and you looked awesome in it. I can't wait to be that size.

The Retired One said...

Loved all of these photos!
And the fact that you took a picture of the driver's ear?=priceless!
LMAO!!

Unknown said...

You are TOO funny! I'm now curious about the poi. What is that?? The barney bread...looks too purple for me to eat.

I totally get the ear flap thing. I'd be doing the same thing.

Can't wait to hear about the dress!

How's the princess? Hope she's feeling better and you stay well!

By the way, you paid 35.00 for a lei greeting?? That should be free!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...