SWEET TEA

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why didn't someone tell me?

Funny how certain things roll across your mind and away, while other things make their way to your consciousness and take up residence. I was thinking about some of these things that have resided in my brain for a number of years. Things I've learned along the way to being Me, at this time in my life. I was also thinking about how nice it would have been to have known these things when I was much younger, which begs the question,
"Why didn't someone tell me?"

So having reached a certain age, and being of reasonably sound body and mind, I'm gonna share with you some of the things I wish someone had told me years ago. Some I've learned through trial and error, others from friends, or from other sources. Feel free to add to my list in your comments. We all want to learn.

I'll post my thoughts in categories, every couple of days, beginning today with things pertaining to
The body.

1. Buy store brand (or inexpensive) shampoo & conditioner for your hair.
It's as good as the name brands.
2. Buy the best Facial Moisturizer you can afford. Make sure it contains
sunscreen. Wear it every day.
3. Best Facial Mask - Elmer's Glue:
The plain white school glue that you can buy for less than a buck.
Rub onto clean, dry skin (avoid eye area). Let it dry; it will harden
like a mask in about 15 min. Peel it off.
Rinse off excess with cool water.
4. Best Facial Exfoliator - Sugar mixed with a bit of Olive Oil to make
a paste. Wipe onto clean, dry, skin, then gently rinse off with warm
water. Pat dry with a soft towel.
5. Buy a Ped Egg and use on your feet to keep them soft and callous
free. (you won't need to do this if you get pedicures)
6. Vow to love and respect your body.
Make time to take care of it. It's the only one you'll ever have and you
want it to last a very long time. Your entire family will benefit
from this.
7. Go to the dentist regularly.
Beg, borrow, or use your charge card; whatever it takes to take good
care of your teeth. Few things hurt as badly as a toothache - you
don't want to go there. And you certainly want to KEEP your teeth.
8. Go to the doctor regularly for check-ups and maintenance work.
It can save your life. Remember, it's not just old people who get
sick or have serious illness.
9. Drink water.
It's "The Fountain of Youth", as well as the "Fountain of Health".
You look better and feel better when properly hydrated.
10. Get some exercise every day.
It's truly a matter of "use it or lose it".
11. Find a hairstyle that you look good in and keep it.
You'll want to have it tweaked a bit every couple of years to stay
current, but unless you were blessed with an oval face and perfect
features, you won't want to vary far from your "best hairstyle".
12. Find out what colors look good on you, then wear them.
Don't live in black, just because it's slimming.
13. Buy Spanx.
These are great for special occasions or any time you want to look
extra good. They immediately make you look 5-10 lbs lighter
than you actually are. They run small, so if you are "on the line"
in determining which size to buy, buy larger. Be sure to read the
directions for how to put them on, which comes in the packaging.
14. Don't let the pounds creep up.
If you don't weigh what you weighed last year at this time
(or less), then take action. If you gain 5 lbs EVERY year, in a
few years you'll not be happy with yourself.
15. The FIRST thing to do when you decide to lose weight, is
go buy yourself TWO NEW OUTFITS that fit you well and
that you look great wearing. You need to be able to go out
looking stylish and trendy, especially when you're working
hard to reach your weight goal. It will give you incentive and
boost your morale, which is key when you are in "diet mode".

GOT SOME IDEAS TO SHARE?
Share them in your comment.
I'd love to learn from you.

12 comments:

Gladys said...

Take both Vitamin D and Magnesium along with Fish Oil Every day.

Vitamin D as we get older does not get absorbed plus the whole sunscreen thing. So take one tablet.

Magnesium - you are going to need this if you take Vit D

Fish Oil - OMG Why didn't anyone tell me when I was young that there was something I could ingest that would keep my hair from falling out, keep my skin moist, keep me regular and help my heart and cholestrol as well as every single cell in my body?

WATER DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER
Sex and laughter you can never get enough of either.

SusanD said...

Those are great! I totally agree with having this knowledge when we were younger.

My brother is doing much better. Thank you so much for your prayers.

Blessings, Susan

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

What a great post! Laughter and love keep you young too!

DeeBee said...

Really great advice! Can't wait for the next list.

Debbie said...

These are wonderful suggestions. Yes, it would have been great to have known this a long time ago:)

babbler said...

Here is a beauty secret for you - being on time reduces stress, and therefore makes the skin look better. Why didn't someone tell me that I should set all of my clocks 15 minutes fast, and live by that time so that I tend to run early rather than late? It works like a charm only if you you don't look at other peoples clocks! (Since I am a slug, I naturally move slower, so this system works for me)...A high water content also improves a slugs ability to produce large amounts of healthy GOO! I hope everyone has a pleasant day today! Love from "Mrs. Slug"!

bebe said...

Get a professional bra fitting. Nothing is worse than a great shirt full of lumpy breasts! Seriously!

Rae Ann said...

Hey! I'm swinging over from BSU.

Great post! My mom taught me that vitamin E helps with fibrocystic breasts. Honey makes a good facial, too. Just smear it on then lightly tap your face with your fingers then wipe off with a warm, moist cloth.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Over from BSU. This was a most helpful post - I've never heard of the Elmer's glue trick! Then again, I don't want to give my 3yo any ideas...

Adding to the list: Wear good shoes and lift from the knees! If your feet and back break down, there's not much helping the rest of you.

Jaimie said...

Thank you for that :)

- stopping by from BSU

Unknown said...

Excellent tips! The facial mask I use is Milk of Magnesia. I buy it at the dollar store and put it on every morning after cleansing my face. Let dry and rinse off. I can really tell a difference when I don't take the time to use it.

Every night after washing off my makeup, I exfoliate with a little baking soda. Really feels good and my skin has never been so soft.

rychelle said...

what moisturiser do you use? (if you don't mind me asking)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...