SWEET TEA

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Ketchup

I KNOW you can identify with this.

I'm not complaining, just simply stating a fact.
Everything is going fine in my little corner of the world, tho time is a luxury.  Nothing big or even important that I can say is "eating" my time, just the everyday "gotta do" that is chomping away.  I don't really mind, but I do miss getting to blog as much as I'd like...Sooooo, here's a quick "Catch-Up".

No, not this kind of "Catch-up"!  
*snicker
#1
I made a cake to take to a Dinner Party we were invited to.  I went totally WILD (real wild, huh?!) and tried a new recipe for chocolate frosting, rather than using the one our family has used  my complete married life.  WELL, as things turned out, the new recipe was a "throw-back" to my youth.  It was much like the old time FUDGE frosting my Mom used to make from the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box, just updated & simpler now.  I'm gonna share it with you - it's tastes like real FUDGE, but doesn't set as hard as fudge.  Now, put your apron on and run to the kitchen and give it a try.  You can thank me later.

         Fudge Frosting
1 stick Butter
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup milk
1 Cup chocolate chips
1 t. Vanilla

Bring butter, milk and sugar to a boil, add chocolate chips and vanilla.  Beat until cool.  
* I beat this for a bit then set it aside to cool - it thickens as it cools and doesn't set hard enough to become difficult to get out of the pan.

#2
I went to the doctor for routine stuff, which included a blood draw.  If you've followed me for any time you know I am a total "needle-phoeb".  I couldn't leave the Dr.'s office without passing out and making a big scene.  I can't tell you how embarrassing this is for me. Let's just say I came to with some "smelling stuff" (?) being waved under my nose, and they had placed ice packs all over my chest, and a cold rag on my face.  It felt wonderful to this menopausal woman, but I wanted to slither out the door on my "wimpy belly" - SO EMBARRASSED!!

#3
Mom is doing very well and that makes me so happy.  She forgets things, so I repeat things.  I think perhaps I am developing a slight stutter from all the repeating, (smile), but that's OK.
Mom is doing very well and that makes me so happy.  She forgets things, so I repeat things.  I think perhaps I am developing a slight stutter from all the repeating, (smile), but that's OK.
Mom is doing very well and that makes me so happy.  She forgets things, so I repeat things.  I think perhaps I am developing a slight stutter from all the repeating, (smile), but that's OK.

#4
Lil' MaMa is not only enjoying her college classes, she is excelling.  Out of 280 students in her Science class, she scored the highest, 99% (on the first test), the next highest was 65%.  Yes - I'm bragging.  On the other hand, Haylee Kate, is growing and also getting smarter each day.  All the little tricks we've used to ease her into sleep, have now become nil - she's onto us.  She fights all efforts of putting her to bed pleasantly.  It is a nightly coup in our house to help her find sleep, but once asleep she'll sleep sometimes 13 hours.  It's humbling to be out-played, out-witted, and out-smarted by a 6 month old baby. 

#5
Thankful for the 32 hrs of rain that just ended.
We've been hovering around *100 for 6 weeks with no rain.
YAY for the RAIN!!

Thank you! Thank you, Blogging Friend, for reading this marathon post.  It seems that posting once a week is about all I can do at the moment.  I hope to get to come "Blog visiting" on Sunday.  See you then!!





16 comments:

Nonnie said...

Uh. Could you repeat that, please?

This was a great "Catch-up" and so funny. It's great to hear so many good reports about your Mom, your daughter and your precious HK. (Well, I guess maybe the visit to the doctor wasn't so good). Wow! You really DON'T do well with the blood draw thang!

I baked a chocolate cake today. Will have to save this recipe for a future cake.

Deanna said...

Good to hear all is well. I make that icing, too. Love it!

Jeanie said...

That is good news that your mom and Lil' Mama are both doing well...and little Haylee Kate, it is great that she sleeps so long once you finally get her to sleep. Apart from the little stutter (LOL) it sounds like you are hanging in there. The frosting sounds wonderful, but I would probably eat it all before I got it on the cake.

NanaDiana said...

I see you have to repeat yourself more than once?! Great catch up post. Glad your Mom is doing okay and that our daughter is doing such a good job in school. Who needs to be smarter than a 5th grader? You've got to start by outwitting the baby first! xo Diana

Carla said...

Great news...well, all but the dr visit part. We finally got some rain too - DFW area. And now it is winter! Such a shock to my system when I went outsiide this morning and froze.

yaya said...

My Mom makes a vanilla cooked frosting that I love so I'm totally going to try this one! Thanks for sharing! I think you are amazing having your Mom and babies and grown kids all at home. Blogging once a week is fine, I'm just glad to hear from you! Enjoy the rest of this weekend!

Chatty Crone said...

You write a great post.
You write a great post.
You write a great post.

Haha just kidding - my MIL did the same thing.

You have so many fires going on at the same time - and you do such a great job!

Hope that baby girl sleeps.

Sandie

Tammy said...

Sounds like you are busy as all get out. Sorry about the blood draw, I am so thankful that needles don't bother me at all. Sounds like your Mom is doing well and adjusting just fine. I remember my husband's Mom who also had alzheimers. It was a constant loop of the same conversation and at times it was hard to be patient. I admire you for all you are doing for your family. Hugs!!

Aloha Acres said...

You Are Fabulous.
That Is All!

Mari said...

:) - enjoyed the catch-up!
Glad things are going well with all the generations at your house. (Except for the blood draw!)
The icing sounds wonderful!

SouthLakesMom said...

Reading that recipe made my molars ache! Yummmm....

Glad to hear things are doing well.

I remember those "I'm not going to sleep" days. Exhausting, but they don't last. As soon as she's really mobile, she'll wear herself out.

Starry Dawn said...

Hi dear,
I am Starry, the new follower of your wonderful blog.
Sandie has sent me the link, and I am so glad I have found you.
I hope you'll get to visit me, if you wish, perhaps, even follow.
I enjoy reading your recipes.
I am glad your mom is doing better.
God bless you, sweetheart.
Greetings from Poet Starry Dawn.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Loved the "catch - up"...and play on words. Glad all is well with you.

Michael said...

The fudge frosting HAS to be goooood, 1 stick of butter you better believe it! Might have to give this recipe a try.

karen said...

Very newsy, and you are BUSY! I want some of that cake. Will have to figure out who I can make it for who will also give me a piece of it.
Haylee sounds...so normal. Just remember that they do outgrow all of this.
And bless you for your patience with your mother. I know it's difficult. I am struggling with it a bit myself, but at least they don't live with me!

nancygrayce said...

I laughed out loud at #3..... My mama forgets things too.

Getting a baby to sleep is always such a mystery!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...