SWEET TEA

Sunday, July 28, 2013

"That's what I love about S_ _ _ _ _."


I don't think there's a single line in this song that doesn't raise a red flag in my memory bank.  Love. Love. Love this. Every time I hear it I feel "instantly refreshed".  (I can't say that about many things.)

Does any phrase from this song bring a memory/thought to mind for you?

"That's What I Love About Sunday"

Raymond's in his Sunday best,
He's usually up to his chest in oil an' grease.
There's the Martin's walkin' in,
With that mean little freckle-faced kid,
Who broke a window last week.
Sweet Miss Betty likes to sing off key in the pew behind me.

That's what I love about Sunday:
Sing along as the choir sways;
Every verse of Amazin' Grace,
An' then we shake the Preacher's hand.
Go home, into your blue jeans;
Have some chicken an' some baked beans.
Pick a back yard football team,
Not do much of anything:
That's what I love about Sunday.

I stroll to the end of the drive,
Pick up the Sunday Times, grab my coffee cup.
It looks like Sally an' Ron, finally tied the knot,
Well, it's about time.
It's 35 cents off a ground round,
Baby, cut that coupon out!

That's what I love about Sunday:
Cat-napping on the porch swing;
You curled up next to me,
The smell of jasmine wakes us up.
Take a walk down a back road,
Tackle box and a cane pole;
Carve our names in that white oak,
steal a kiss as the sun fades,
That's what I love about Sunday,
Oh, yeah.

Ooh, new believers gettin' baptized,
Momma's hands raised up high,
Havin' a Hallelujah good time
A smile on everybody's face.
That's what I love about Sunday,
Oh, yeah.

That's what I love about Sunday,
Oh, yeah


6 comments:

Tammy said...

What a great song and on just the right day - thanks for sharing that!!

Nonnie said...

Oh yeah!! Red flags all over the place. A hallelujah Sunday for sure on Sunday morning AND Sunday night. (The little freckle face mean boy lived next door. His profession now? Pastor of a church.)

Mari said...

I never heard this one before but it's so good! Lots of red flags!

Linda said...

I was JUST now THINKING about that song! As I finished up my journal entry for the day that song popped in my mind. I really enjoyed seeing it here! I think you and I must be kindred spirits!! Soul Sisters!!

SouthLakesMom said...

Ear worms! Good ones though.

You were right on the photo on my blog. Didja notice the cowgirl boots? Ha ha I was 4 years old.

yaya said...

I've never heard that song, but love the lyrics. I love Sunday because we spend the time in Church and at home..no shopping, no yard work, just relaxing with family!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...