SWEET TEA

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I'm wearin' my "Smarty Pants".

I don't like to brag, well maybe just a little. . . but you can call me -
'Cause you're gonna be down-right jealous when you see what I did today.


THIS!!
I prepped all this food to be put into the freezer
to be eaten on a day I'd rather play than cook.
"Thaw, Heat, and Eat".
I know it's not an original thought, but it's new territory for me as I'm figuring out how to cook for just two people.  I browned 3 lbs of ground beef then assembled these items.

I used the canned "Manwich" and simply added some Liquid Smoke, garlic powder, and a dash of cayenne pepper.  Mixed in some ground beef and it was ready to be "bagged"
Oops!  I notice I put the wrong date on the label.
Sure hope the "Sloppy Joe Police" don't come to take me in!

This is simply a Mexican concoction that I heat and serve over rice.  I top it with Sour Cream and diced tomatoes, but it is good "as is", sans toppings.  It is a 1/2 jar of my favorite Salsa, (which happens to be the mild "Best Value" brand from Walmart), and a drained can of black beans.  I spice it up by adding some Pace Picante to the mix - then stir in some ground beef.  "Yes sir, Yes sir, I made 3 bags full".

Two pasta dishes, ready to go into the freezer.
Think Lasagna, except with the corkscrew pasta I had on hand, rather than lasagna noodles.  I used my favorite type jarred spaghetti sauce, ricotta and parmesan cheese, etc. etc.


I should have a "Guess what this is?" contest -
cause this lame photo really leaves one to wonder.
Pie Crust!
That's what it is - "pie crust", the type you make in the food processor.  I only made my own because if our arteries are gonna clog I want them to clog with butter, rather than Crisco.  I don't know why I have a preference, but I do.  I'll use this when I make a quiche.  

I'm channeling my inner Chef Boyardee and Betty Crocker today, a strange type of psychological blitz, if I do say so myself. I seldom post about cooking, but when the occasional mood hits I think it's good to go with it.  I'm thinking about making "chicken" recipes the next time a cooking mood comes along.

Now I've got to figure out how many WW points are in each of these items - a project for another day.



24 comments:

Cheri said...

I should have you cook me some dishes to put in my freezer. I always have good intentions....LOL

How are you doing? Really.

Shelly said...

You are keeping your hands well busy. That's a smart thing to do. Praying for you, my friend~

KTW said...

You're crossing over to the 'super organized' side! ;) I do this lots because with my schedule, it pays to have quick and easy to fall back on from time to time. Just yesterday I made 2 large pots of chili so I'd have plenty to freeze. Meat loaves, wrapped in plastic wrap and then foil, freeze really well. Just pull them out of the freezer to thaw, add your favorite sauce and bake. You're gonna love how much simpler this makes your life! :)

Anonymous said...

wow, you are a smarty pants for sure, I wish I was that prepared, sounds wonderful!!!!

Melanie said...

You are right cooking for two can be difficult. Love what you are doing by freezing food, I should do that too!

Mari said...

I love making freezer meals. Not only will it make my life easier in the future, but it makes me feel productive at the moment. :)
Yay for you!
Glad you are keeping busy, you are in my prayers.

Jeanie said...

Well, I'm always impressed by cooking since I don't do it very often, so I think you are a Smarty Pants, indeed.

Sunny Simple Life said...

I love to cook once and eat twice. I just wish I had a bigger freezer.

Sandra said...

It's always great when you already have something in the freezer for those busy days :)

My Mind's Eye said...

Well now I'm just plain green with envy and HUNGRY!!

Now we need to come up with a name for your new 'thing'.

Instant Chef or Chef Snappy
MOL
Just sayin' madi and Mom

Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

I always think about doing this but never really get to it. Perhaps some day soon I'll get around to being more organized.

Terra said...

Oh girl friend, will you please come to my kitchen and work your magic here? I love your girl scout preparedness kick and it all sounds delicious.

Deanna said...

I never actually liked pie crust very much until I started making my own using real butter. SO much tastier. And butter is way healthier than Crisco so it's a win-win. :)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm very impressed! And jealous, too. I would love to be that organized, but just call me lazy! I have to admit when we need a quick meal and I don't have time to cook, I pull one of those what I call cardboard pizzas out of the freezer and pop in the oven. Otherwise, it's a run down the road for take out!

nancygrayce said...

Keeping busy! It's good therapy. Do you hear anything from the Princess? I have been thinking of you and knowing what that's like only with a boy!

Nonnie said...

I've been cooking for two for a long time and since I'm not a smarty pants like you, I just freeze the leftovers to take out on another day. Your way is really smarter because we have a tendency to eat more on the day I cook it. :-( Glad you are finding lots to do and I am still praying too.

Susie said...

I wish I could stand to be in the kitchen that long .LOL You will be so happy come a busy day and you have no time to cook. I have been trying to make extra for my daughter's family...as she and her husband work on their new house after their real jobs. I go over and help primer, tape, paint. So i know they are busy. Smiles to you miss Smarty Pants, Susie

yaya said...

Those sound very yummy and how smart to have them all ready when you are too busy to cook. Saves money and time! No take-out guilt either! Wait, is there even such a thing as take-out guilt? I'm still trying to figure out how to cook for 2. It's like returning to when I was a newly wed. I came from a family of 6 kids and I thought everyone always made "king size" amounts!

Bobbie said...

Way to go! I keep 'saying' I'm going to do this same thing but never do.. maybe you can be my inspiration!

acorn hollow said...

I love doing that so when I drag my sorry but home from work I have something I can heat and eat.
good job and they all sound yummy
Cathy

Mary said...

My, my, you've been a busy lady!!!

karen said...

You are amazing! Now come to my house and do the same thing, please.

Unknown said...

I'm in awe of you! I wish I had the energy to do all of that! It looks delicious!

Linda said...

Great ideas!! This would work for us since we have a little freezer here in the camper! Love your recipes! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...