SWEET TEA

Monday, July 2, 2012

Party Postmortem


Good.
Bad.
Whatever.
These are my honest thoughts about the party we attended over the weekend  (This is part 2 to my previous post, "Road Trip Aversion Disorder".)

The party was given by our very best friends, who we've been friends with since high school.  They will be out of town in the Fall when our class reunion is held so they had a small party, inviting mainly a gathering of guys (and their wives) who were friends of the hosts husband during high school.  Most of us knew each other but had not seen each other in many years.

You know the kind of friends who you get together with and it seems as though no time has passed and you simply begin where you left off the last time you were together?
This was not that sort of gathering to me.
I found it awkward at times
and I think, at the least, a little stressful for
many of us.

Life goes on.
Change happens
and no matter how hard one tries
to pretend, at our age we are not
the same people we were when
we were 17.  Some had changed for the better.  Some, not better, just changed.

Glad to be home and back to reality.

11 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I love friends that you can pick up where you left off so easily, and it's always refreshing to see that some people have changed for the better!

Jeanie said...

I have never been to a high school reunion but I plan to go to one in 2015. I want to go, even though I think it may be much like this one was for you. Even if it wasn't the best it was probably good that you went.

Shelly said...

Hopefully your husband had a good time. It's always kind of bittersweet to me to go back to those kind of things~

Sandra said...

I haven't been to a high school reunion and don't plan on attending one either LOL

I know many people love the whole thing, but I don't, guess I'm an oddball.

Nonnie said...

Your honesty is refreshing. I have enjoyed getting to know some of our high school classmates through FB. But still uncertain about attending the reunion in the Fall.
I'm sure you would much rather have travelled 6 hours to see your Granddolls.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh me been there done that.
Bless your heart treat yourself to a huge piece of chocolate you'll feel better.
Hugs C

yaya said...

Way to take one for team! I missed the previous post but a 6hr drive can be a pain..I know since I drive that far to Chicago to be with family. Family gatherings can be awkward too! I didn't do the HS reunion thing last year, but I do enjoy visiting a very small group of friends from there now and then.

Memoirs of Me & Mine said...

I avoided the last high school reunion. I have a few friends from high school that I still see regularly. But otherwise, I really had no desire. Of course, me being very shy doesn't help!

karen said...

Yeah I know that feeling. It's kind of bittersweet and it takes a week or two for the weirdness to leave. That's why I don't like high school reunions.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I am going to my 40 year class reunion....people I have not seen in many years....with a friend I do pick up where i left off so easily. I am looking forward to the time with her....not so much the other...I am leaving Frank at home because it would make it even more awkward if I had to worry about introductions and if he was having fun. Easier with friend who was there when it happened.

Melanie said...

Glad you are back home - I hate road trips too! No we are not the same people that we were at 17, thank goodness!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...