SWEET TEA

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

School is in session.

If you've watched any political TV lately
then you've  been exposed to
a "snollygoster" or two.


Certainly if you've a teenager in the
house (or a spouse) you've been dealing with a
snarly "Mumpsimus" from time to time.


And, I must admit that on occasion
I have been known to be quite
the "mooncalf" myself.  Humph!

~I love the english language!~

*Snollygoster - One definition of the word dates to 1895, when a newspaper editor explained "a snollygoster is a fellow who wants office, regardless of party, platform or principles...."

*Mumpsimus - a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong

*Mooncalf - a foolish or absentminded person


I found this photo of Mr. Daniel Webster.
These old photos make everyone
look to be a meany pants, don't they?
Perhaps even a snollygoster.
  Wonder if his wife,
Caroline, ever thought him
to be a mumpsimus, mooncalf?

Class dismissed.


18 comments:

Shelly said...

I love words like this! Thanks for sharing~

Joy Tilton said...

oh Lord, I'm rolling in the floor over this one! These words will make me seem interesting...

Melanie said...

He does look like a meany pants doesn't he? Would be interesting to know exactly what his wife thought! LOL!!

Chatty Crone said...

Hey you do know they actually add words every year to that old dictionary! sandie

Unknown said...

Love the words & laugh for the day! Adding one to my vocabulary.

Have a beautiful day ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Journey said...

I love words and have never heard these before!! Thanks for putting a smile on my face!!

Lisa said...

I love this!! I have two mumpsimons in the house! LOL

My Mind's Eye said...

Madi wants me to buy some bedroom shoes like those.
LOL
C

Linda said...

What crazy words!! I am going to try to work these into my conversations!!

Unknown said...

Having a teen mumpsimus aka my stepson is causing me tons of gray hair. Learned three new words....thanks!

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh I have a mumpsimus or two in my house.

acorn hollow said...

such great words not longer used.
cathy

Jeanie said...

I'm sure we are all guilty of being a mumpsimus or a mooncalf from time to time. I hope I'm not such a mooncalf that I am unable to remember these words when they would be of use to me.

nancygrayce said...

Fun! Looking at a family picture of my grandmother, I ask her why they didn't smile....her answer.....I guess we didn't have much to smile about! :)

She did laundry to save money for a family picture when she was about 16.

Debbiedoos said...

I always crack up over olden photos too, they do look like meanie pants.

Bobbie said...

Boy, have I learned a lot here today... My favorite is 'meany pants' lol. thanks teacher!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Those were priceless and made me laugh out loud. I am not seeing them becoming part of my daily language but when I want to impress someone I might pull them out.

Annesphamily said...

I love it! When my oldest was a kid, she and her friend drove me nuts! I called them egg head meringuesis! Just a word I made up to say they had meringue in their brains! That Mr. Websters looks grumpy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...