SWEET TEA

Friday, January 6, 2012

Spinach, and Lettuce, and Greens, Oh My!


At first glance this simply looks like dirt.
But not to me.

      What I see when I look at the dirt is visions of the Lettuce & Spinach
I planted there yesterday.

The weather has been great so I am hopeful to be eating
greens from our own garden very soon.
I do hope that our Guard Squirrel, "Squirrelly Sue"can keep the rabbits away!

I'll be watching and waiting for the seeds to sprout.
*Fingers crossed*.

                * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * *

I am loving this beautiful weather, so with temps
reaching 70 I thought it was time to paint the front door black.
I had bought a good brand of paint, but it just didn't seem to be going on as smoothly as the last time I painted it.  Still, I finished the job and all seemed well.

I gathered my paintbrushes to clean them in the sink, which is what I normally do.  The minute I put the brush under water I knew something was wrong. 


I scrubbed those brushes but the paint did not budge and soon my hands were painted black - sticky black.  Then I realized the paint guru who had sold me the paint had sold me paint that WAS NOT the water clean-up type.  My two new brushes were ruined and my hands were black and sticky, even after pouring fingernail polish remover all over them.  Mr. arrived and sprayed my hands with WD40 and the paint began to come of.  Whew!  Next time I'll be sure to ask for "water clean-up' paint, before I buy.    

Still, I got'er done!
Front door painted.
                Spinach & Lettuce planted.
     

And, I even managed to walk a mile and 1/2 around the park.
Not bad?! 
"The Girl's still got it.  The Girl's still got it"       


   

20 comments:

A Tale of Two Cities said...

I'd love to see a picture of your black door. Bet it's very welcoming to guests!

Cheri said...

I had to laugh when I saw your black hands...sorry. Your antics make me chuckle.

Jeanie said...

I know that "this paint is not going to wash off" feeling.....sticky and icky. I'm glad you finally got it off.
WD40-who knew?

NanaDiana said...

I have had that happen a couple of times and I HATE it! You can save your brushes by soaking them in brush cleaner (if they are worth saving). I only buy water clean up anymore, too!

Sounds like you got a good start on the new year! xo Diana

CalamityJr said...

Sorry about the non water soluble paint, but other than that, what a great day you had! Cheers to you!

Skoots1moM said...

something was calling out for your hand prints...
i love hand prints, they're a piece of us we don't often see

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I didn't know WD40 could take off an oil based paint. With all the latex paint we use now, I wouldn't have anything to clean it up either. That door is one more thing to check off your list.

Nel said...

I love the pic of your hands, and it's like what do you do, you can't find anything or the black paint will be on everything. Good thing your husband wasn't gone for a real long time. Too funny... Sorry just enjoying the moment! Glad you got your door done anyway!
until next time... nel

Mindy said...

JEALOUS! Gardening in the PNW is a challenge, since the slugs are bigger, the raccoons are bigger, the moss is greater, the trees are taller and the sun is rarer than in the midwest where I grew up. I miss eating real food from my garden!

Not jealous of the black hands...I can't believe you didn't create a Black Hands Project while they were loaded with paint, like a good bloggy woman. There had to have been SOMETHING in that house that needed black handprints on it! :)

My Mind's Eye said...

Good luck with the garden!!
Every home needs WD40 and Duct Tape!!
Hugs C

Rhona said...

Sounds like you've been very productive but I also had to chuckle at your black hands - oh dear! Lol!! x

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh what a feeling that must have been when the water didn't wash the paint off!!
I look forward to seeing the door too,

KTW said...

Always buy LATEX! LOL!!! I never even look at enamel unless I have a project that specifically calls for it because I despise cleaning it up. Do we get to see the door? :)

yaya said...

I was feeling so good because our temps were in the 50's today..a rare event in Jan up north..and gardens will sit barren until Spring..so I envy the 70de. temps, the gardening, but not the black hands! Glad you got 'er done though..I envy your energy now!

Chatty Crone said...

I am sorry, but I am just laughing my head off here - your hands looked sooooooooo funny. Glad you got it off. sandie

Shirley Sue said...

Why Black? A lot of people are doing red doors. Suppose to ward off evil.

Loved you named your pet squirrel after me. You DID know that Squirrely Shirley was another nickname of mine. It's one I can't get away from.

I'm jealous you planted something! I'm already getting excited about my spring garden. I should try to plant some greens, but I don't have a guard squirrel. I have the real thing. But do have a squirrel dog.

karen said...

Woot! You're awesome, girl - black hands and all!

Joanna Jenkins said...

The paint guy is lucky you didn't take those black hands back to the store and pinch his cheeks ;-)

xo jj

Joyce said...

Can't imagine gardening right at the moment...it was 20 degrees here this week! Congrats on a productive day!

Kimmy said...

How I missed this post is beyond me. Do I really miss a lot when I'm not on for a few days?! Geez! I do have to say....I have that squirrel in my yard also!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...