SWEET TEA

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

SMT (sorting my thoughts)

Today I'm sorting my thoughts.
Consider yourself warned.
It will probably be a bumpy ride,
so buckle up.

"I hate to admit some of these things,
but I'm going to."


I love every day and consider each one a blessing.
That said, from now till the first of the year is my
least favorite time.  I know how that sounds.
It sounds like Bah-Humbug,
but that's not really the case.  It's just that this
time of the year is such a jumble to me.

Thanksgiving.
The good.
I LOVE getting together with our family!
I don't like that we have to drive to Okla
to do this. 


Mister AND Princess have a Nov. 30th b-day.
The good: I love celebrating them!
I don't like the fact that we no sooner
get home from Thanksgiving and I
immediately must get into party mode.
It's really a time & energy crunch
to do all the prepping & baking
so close to Thanksgiving,
though this is getting easier as
Princess gets older.  Still, it's hard
to do their birthdays like I want
because I'm rushed.


Then, once their birthdays are over
it's time to put away the Thanksgiving
decor and begin the process of getting
out all the Christmas decorations
and putting the tree up, yada, yada, yada.
Shame on me, but I don't enjoy putting
up and/or taking down "Christmas"
in my house.

Then there's another 6 hr drive to and from
Oklahoma the week before Christmas. 
The big payoff is getting to see my
family again, though I absolutely hate the drive.

Then it's home for Christmas
and time to begin the process of picking up
and putting all the Christmas decor away.

It's the busy-ness that I don't enjoy.


I'm thinking of simply buying a small tree
this year, but that would mean not
using all the lovely ornaments I've collected
through the years.  Don't know how I'd feel
about that.  I love these ornaments as they
are the ones my children have made and I
am sentimentally attached to them.  And
deep down this sort of means that I admit
that we are getting older and "times they
are a changing".  Silly, huh?!

As I read over this I feel it sounds petty.
Sometimes honesty is petty.
I think I mostly feel "crowded".
There are seemingly too many occasions
crunched together too closely.

This is how I wish I could do Christmas:
I want to sit with my Mom (she's 82)
and not be hurried.
I want to bake Christmas cookies
and sip Red hot Cider
with Mister and Princess.
I want to hug my Granddolls and really
get to talk with them and share their
joy of the season.  I want to meet my
son's new girlfriend and see how
they interact with each other.
I want to watch old home movies.
I want to put on Christmas music
and sip wine as I wrap gifts.
 I want to sit with my oldest daughter and
have some one-on-one time before it's midnight
and we're too exhausted to enjoy
each other's company.
I want to find some sort of gift
that Mister would really enjoy.
I want to see a funny Christmas movie
in the theater.  I want to spend some
stress-free time with my sister and her family.
I want my youngest son to
be with all the family and really
feel loved and valued.  I want to watch
"Merry Christmas Charlie Brown". 
I want to really celebrate Jesus birthday
and "feel" the joy of the season.

Good, bad or whatever,
this is what's on my mind today.

18 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You know what - I hate admitting it too - but I totally agree with you. All the things we have to do - keeps us too busy to enjoy the time - with family.

I saw a red feather small Christmas tree at Home Goods last year - but I didn't get it - my family thinks we have to put up this huge monster tree - decorate it. We have to lug it up - unpack it - decorate it - then who wants to help take it down?

NO ONE!

I thought this was Jesus birthday anyway,

I am not an old scrooge, but I don't like busy work for nothing!

Love,
Sandie

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, ladies, you've made my day. I feel the same way! Can't tell you how many times recently I've wished I could fast forward to Jan. 1.

Mindy said...

Your honesty is refreshing.

I've learned I don't have to celebrate the holidays the same each year. If I don't feel like doing a ton of decorating, I don't. If I don't feel like doing a ton of baking, I don't. I have a friend who orders a huge tray of Christmas cookies from a local bakery.

Do you have a portable CD player to watch old Christmas movies on the drive?

Anyway, may you find the best ways to find space and peace in the crowding and just enjoy the Thank you Jesus in all of these holidays.

Sush said...

Out of necessity some Christmases have more umph in them than others. I've been surprised at how adaptable the family is with it. I've also learned to do a lot of shopping online. I also have explained since my children have reached that 'older' stage that Christmas IS for the children when it comes to Santa, and we now exchange names amongst the siblings and my kids have one 'nice' gift. Everyone is happy and we focus on the grandkids and they are a delight.

Thanksgiving is my fav since we just get to gather together and be grateful for it!
Hugs~

Bobbie said...

Oh boy! Did this hit home!! I think I might print out your 'wants' and try to see if I can't fit a few of these in myself.
The true meaning of Christmas sure does get lost in the shuffle, doesn't it? Last year we defied tradition by not putting up a big tree and putting up a huge Christmas village and train for the grands instead. Christmas does get to be a lot of work!! I do not enjoy putting it up and taking it down either. I love it while it's up... if someone else could just do it for me. lol.
What I hate the most about Christmas though, is the irritable people out and about in the stores. It's all about me, me, me and so many seem very agitated.
**SIGH** Maybe it's time you change some of your traditions?
I hope you find a peace somewhere through it all... ;-)

My Mind's Eye said...

I had lunch with my gal pals today...we were all petty much saying the same thing!! Two of them have married sons whom they don't get to see nearly enough during the holidays and when they do it is such a rush. BTW I asked them about yesterday's question you posed. They tell me I'm their go to cornbread girl. I must admit I make very good cornbread but I do it so often I didn't even think about it yesterday.
Hugs C

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I hope you are feeling a little less guilty now that you see how many of us feel the same way. When I lived in the same state as my daughters, it was trying enough. Now, we drive 17 hours, one way, for a few days of Christmas visits. I hate the drive. I my whole body aches.

Then the time is divided between daughters, father and my sister.( all an hour apart - more road time)

My brother makes no effort so neither do I. I then have friends that wonder why I didn't make time for them as well.

Then it's 17 more hours back home again.

I want your quiet time list and lots of wine.

Brenda Pruitt said...

I don't do all the things I use to at holidays. Haven't for years. Sometimes I just want to spend it by myself enjoying what I want to do. I think it's unfortunate that people think we all must ascribe to a certain type tradition to celebrate. We should celebrate life and enjoy the holidays how we want to.
Brenda

Mary said...

That sounds like a wonderful Christmas to me.
Hope you get to have it someday!

yaya said...

I used to love the decorating and all the fuss but as I've gotten older I'm feeling the need to not do as much. I don't mind Thanksgiving. I enjoy the cooking, but Christmas has turned into a stress test for me. Funds are tighter this year and we're cutting back and trying to enjoy the Grandkiddos more. We will take a 6hr. drive to visit with my Mom the week before also. But she's 85 and even though her health is good, one just never knows what's in store. So I hope you get your wish list and can find some real peace on your earth!

Jeanie said...

I agree that things can start feeling very jumbled and confused at this time of the year. I hope you get to do at least some of the things on you Christmas wish list...it all sounds very nice.

Unknown said...

You are not alone. I wish I could hire someone to put up and take down the decorations. I think I dread that most of all. I tell myself every year that I'll buy gifts all year long, but I never do. I'm sure that would make things easier, but I just don't do it.

A friend of mine used to string ornaments on twine and use them at the tops of her windows like a valance. Maybe you can get away with a smaller tree by doing that.

karen said...

I just loved reading your list of wants!
So many of them are mine as well. The holiday season gets us so wound up and busy that we often don't have a thought to do the things that would really mean the most. So every year I have a mild disappointment in how it's gone. I will take a page from your book and try to make my preparations reasonable and easy so I can enjoy the ones who've come to celebrate.

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Not that you need my unsolicited advice..BUT I say..do whatever it takes to simplify things and make those things that you want to happen, happen. I spent many years rushing..doing..missing out before I stopped and said "enough". It takes some planning but I start shopping and planning early, I don't give in to the demands and just enjoy the season..the way its meant to be enjoyed!!

The Old Dairy said...

You always make me feel better. I to don't enjoy the business of Christmas, but at least I don't have Thanksgiving thrown in there as well...And my family come to me....so may be I'm not as busy as I think I am....

Unknown said...

I hear you. I only wish that things were viewed the same way with the kids. I think they have grander expectations. I'd be perfectly happy with takeout pizza and lighting the fireplace and listening to Christmas carols.

I hope you're able to enjoy some of the things on your wish list.es

Unknown said...

I completely understand! Would it be crazy to hire someone else to do all the decorating and putting away? I hope that you have a simple Christmas with time to enjoy the really important things in life. Thanks for the visit and comment today!

Anonymous said...

As usual, you took the words right out of my heart. Except for the part about the 6 hour drive to Oklahoma. But you left out the most annoying thing about the season: That psycho Target Lady and her "I've been up all night on crack" laugh. I just want to take that tube of icing out of her hands and...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...