SWEET TEA

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Stellar "Keller"

I homeschool Princess,
our 16 yr. old daughter.

One of today's assignments
was to write a poem
about the life of
Helen Keller.
(Yes.  I knew this would be difficult.)

Imagine my surprise when
in no time at all
she turned in
the following poem . . .


Helen Keller was born just fine,
Until sickness came and made her blind.

Then more news to make you shed a tear,
The Keller’s baby girl could not hear.

She struggled to learn day and night,
Until Annie came to lead her right.

She was a misfit, and often disobeyed,
But Annie’s discipline came and stayed.

She was educated and became very smart,
And earned her degree as a bachelor in art.

She was disabled, yet she never slowed down,
She could feel your expression, smile or frown.

She learn to do, the same as you and I,
And never complained about her “unworking” eyes.

She fought for politics, and women’s rights,
Never letting a setback control her life.

She died alone in her dark, quiet world,
The story of a deaf, blind girl.


Who knew?

11 comments:

Robin said...

WOW! That is great! Such an intelligent answer!

Skoots1moM said...

what a talented writer you have in her!
awesomely done ;)

Nancy said...

I have a friend whose daughter won a full ride scholarship to college when she went for testing and the essay portion was to write about what made them into the person they are today...and she made it into a poem. It is amazing what the mind will come up with sometimes! How does Princess like the home schooling? I believe the whole thing to be a God send for us because I don't know how our Jr. would have made it through school otherwise!

Joyce said...

I love happy surprises from our kids...good for your daughter!

Unknown said...

Impressive! She must have a good teacher.

Mari said...

Wow! She did a great job!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. That poem is amazing. Your daughter is super creative. WOW! If I was still teaching I would totally post that in my classroom : ) Good job!

Anonymous said...

Very good rhyming! And she learned a lot about Helen Keller, too.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm impressed!

Mary said...

Impressive! That pretty much sums it up!

Mindy said...

You have been leaving such encouraging comments and I haven't dropped by yet to let you know how much I appreciate your kind words. Thank you!

I was blessed to see your daughter's poem....very good! May the Lord bless you as you continue to nurture and encourage in homeschooling.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...