SWEET TEA

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Is this normal?

You may want to put the kids to bed and dim the lights a bit before you read further. I have the "need to know" some information about your personal life. Have you ever seen the Dr. Phil program when they list some things about themself which they feel might be considered odd by others? The whole program falls under the topic of "Is This Normal?"...

So, I'm asking. . .
"Do you eat healthy?"

Does nutrition actually factor into
your dining decisions MOST of
the time? Do you actively calculate
the Fat & Cholesterol in your food?
Do you skip the cookie and reach
for celery? Do you eat a plum
instead of pie?

I keep hearing folks on TV discussing
"making wise food choices"
AND
"eating healthy".

I take a vitamin,
but other than forgoing
french fries and fried foods,
I seldom make the
wise choice.
"Is this normal?"

I really want to know.
I'll be having a BIG birthday this month
and I think perhaps it's time I give some
honest thought to this.

DID YOU KNOW. . .

These are healthy muffins.


The minute frosting touches them
they are no longer muffins,
but forbidden CUPCAKES!


This is a healthy Fruit Smoothie!



The minute you add ice cream
to the mix it is no longer
a Fruit Smoothie,
but God-forbid,
a Milk Shake!



I've been investigating "healthy recipes".
Did you know that prunes are actually
an ingredient in many healthy
dessert recipes?

Oat Bran
is actually "people" food,
and not just for
horses anymore?


Some seemingly normal
people have taken to adding
carrots to their meatloaf,
spaghetti sauce, and even muffins?!


Flax Seed
is not "for the birds" -
it's used in baking
and for sprinkling on top of
a bowl of oatmeal.
Who knew?
I would LOVE to have some
"healthy recipes"
for snacks,

especially for muffins, fruit bread or smoothies.
I know it's not politically correct to admit to
being a Junk Food Junkie, but. . . .

"Hello. My name is Deb.
I'm a Junk food Junkie."
How do you compare to me in regards to your food choices?
Got a good, healthy recipe you can send my way?

9 comments:

Robin said...

Uhhhhh, I wish I could help you there, but "My name is Robin, and I'm a Junk-Food Junkie, too". I also have a "Big" birthday coming up and I know I need to change my eating habits, but junk food just tastes so dang good!

{{{HUGS}}}

Robin :o)

chocdrop said...

I usually have a half-hearted rule. If I am going out to eat then it means I am splurging on something fried or sweet. Same with b-day parties and the like. I usually like particular things as: Grilled chicken, loaded potatoes (mashed or baked) and a great size of broccoli, oh my favorite.

A drink is nice with a meal, a bellini is my first choice and a fruit smoothie is another.

Kat said...

Sorry, not much help here. We do tend to eat a little healthier in the summer, because we tend to grill out more and eat more salads due to the heat. But when we go out, ALL bets are off lol. And I have a major addiction to cherry limeades from Sonic, which I could kid myself was not as unhealthy as ice cream. But now they've come up with their "chillers", which is basically my cherry limeade with ice cream and whipped cream added - ARGHHHHH! And then Blue Bell added Southern Blackberry Cobbler to their decadent flavor line up - still a fork in me, I'm done! Kathy

Kat said...

Oops, that was stick not still a fork in me. It's early darn it. K

Brigid said...

I actually love flax seeds in my oatmeal. It's so good! I like to add them to muffins, too. I'm a fairly healthy eater -- nothing like your son, but not bad. He and I are a trove of healthy recipes if you ever want any.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

You know I am doing the Karen makeover so I have given up the fried, potatoes, most things white...and I have a recipe or two for you.
Orange Sunshine Smoothie - I eat this when I have to have something that resembles a milkshake. It has 100 calories, 19 Carbs, 5 proteins, 0 fat, 0 fiber

1/2 cup of orange juice
1/4 cup of plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 cup crushed ice
1 T Splenda(or nonsugar of choice)
Place it all in a blender...zap at high for 30 -45 seconds. One serving


Peanut Butter cookies
11/2 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 c baking powder
1/2 c + 2T peanut butter
1/4 margarine
2 T non-fat cream cheese
1/4 c Splenda
3T Splenda brown sugar
1 large egg
2 T 1% milk
2 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 375. Spray cookie sheet with Pam I actually use the olive oil one. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder together and set aside. In another bowl mix peanut butter, margarine, cream cheese, Splenda, brown sugar Splenda until creamy - add egg, milk and vanilla. Beat well. Stir in flour mixture. Roll dough, by level Tablespoon into balls. Place onto cookie sheet and flatten with a fork forming a criss-cross on top of each cookie. Bake for 9 - 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool. Makes 26 servings. I have some more I will email them to you.

Gladys said...

Sweet Tea, This is exactly how I lost 35 pounds in 4 months. I ate healthy. No sugar, no starches, and guess what I was full all of the time. I did not starve myself, I did not deprive myself of snacks and deserts. I just ate healthy. I eat NO pre-packaged foods and yes OREOS are pre-packaged. :)

GypsyFox said...

what a great post! I actually like healthy stuff, i have a "tooth" for cardboard tasting stuff LOL

Housewife Savant said...

I love your answer to The Rambler's "Think...Thursday" so I had to visit.

This is a great confessional.
I am a JFJ too.
Only in the past few years have I watched carbs, but not for health - for vanity.

I am clueless about the rest.

You might enjoy this site;
http://mustbejelly.blogspot.com/

I am NOT nutrition savvy, or even interested for the most part, but Jelly Belly is fun.
(She should PAY me for talking her up.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...