SWEET TEA

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Southern Life

Behold a little glimpse of Heaven.
Actually, this is my "dream" porch.

When I am elected President
I will mandate that everyone
be given a front porch like
this one...But till then,
you'll almost feel like you're
sitting on this porch sippin'
Sweet Tea from your favorite
glass when you read the gentle words
of Mrs. Patricia Neely-Dorsey
from Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life In Poems

SOUTHERN LIFE
If you want a glimpse of Southern life,
Come close and walk with me;
I'll tell you all the simple things,
That you are sure to see.


You'll see mockingbirds and bumblebees,
Magnolia blossoms and dogwood trees,
Caterpillars on the step,
Wooden porches cleanly swept;


Watermelons on the vine,
Strong majestic Georgia pines;
Rocking chairs and front yard swings,
Junebugs flying on a string;


Turnip greens and hot cornbread,
Coleslaw and barbecue;
Fried okra, fried corn, fried green tomatoes
Fried pies and pickles too.


There's ice cold tea that's syrupy sweet,
And cool, green grass beneath your feet;
Catfish nipping in the lake,
And fresh young boys on the make.


You'll see all these things
And much, much more,
In a way of life that I adore.

Copyright 2008 Patricia Neely-Dorsey from
Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life In Poems

9 comments:

Mimi said...

I long for a porch like that. I'll totally vote for you in 2012!

I'm proud to say that I finally posted on Devotional Daze today & am feeling much better.

Thanks for you love!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for introducing my "little book of southern poems to your readers.
It is greatly appreciate!

www.patricianeelydorsey.webs.com

Unknown said...

Oops sorry for the typo! (LOL)
Of course, I meant..
It is greatly appreciated ! (smile)

Unknown said...

i love the porch!
in my dream house i will have a beautiful porch like that!

and the poem is beautiful!
i have to go to her web site and check it out!

chocdrop said...

I love that porch, very southern and down home.

The Retired One said...

We live in the far, far north, but we have a covered porch and a porch swing too...I wouldn't have it any other way..we use it quite a bit.
I love being out on it during a hard, warm summer rain...

Kat said...

Well dear, you've got my vote! Our house does not have a porch, but we are trying to figure out how to add one. I don't know, geometry and all that may put and end to the idea, but a gal can dream. Thanks for the poem also, will be off to visit Patricia's site! Have a great week. Kathy

Susan said...

I also miss the front porch. We had rockers and lots of flower pots on the banisters. Now all the gathering is done around back, where no one has the pleasure of seeing you and just stopping by to "chew the fat". Ahhh, those were the days. Susan

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I am on the way. What a wonderful way of life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...