SWEET TEA

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

We May Be Talking WAR

Beverly here again--guest blogging for Sweet Tea, who is still soaking up the sun.

I'm wondering--is it too early in the summer to declare war on the outside world? Or should I just stay inside till cold weather sets in? Usually, I'm up for working in the yard or just being outside. But I'm starting to have second thoughts. It looks like the critters have it in for me.

Case in point: my accidental drinking of a fly yesterday. You can read about it here if you're so inclined. Every sip of my beloved Diet Mt Dew since then has been taken with more than a little trepidation.

Then this morning, I was doing some weeding and overdue planting of annuals when I came across this beauty. Okay, maybe the one I made contact with wasn't quite this big, but it sure seemed like it. And she obviously was protecting some eggs because I would swear she CAME. AT. ME. I have no qualms about saving my own rear and so said spider is squashed beyond recognition. As are her egg sacs.



THEN this afternoon I walked out our back door and came upon a mama robin--who in a secret life is a ninja! This nest is atop the light fixture outside the door. Just about every time we go in or out, we disturb her bringing food. I guess today she'd had enough. I opened the door and she went into full ninja mode! I tried to find a picture, but no luck. This bird was standing straight up in the air with her wings stretched out as far as they'd go. And she was telling me off! I immediately slammed the door shut and found another way to leave the house.





I know you're looking at these sweet baby birds and cooing. Aren't they cute? So sweet! NO, they're not! As soon as these fly the coop (so to speak) that nest is history! Next year, the light is going to sport a rubber snake or owl! This is the driveway underneath the nest....



Boy, I really DO need to lay off the Breyers Strawberry. Even my toes are fat!

5 comments:

chocdrop said...

OMG, you are so funny. The ninja bird is hilarious. You should get a great big hat and then the ninja bird can't get right at you!!!! lol

Sweet Tea, she is a great guest!

Joyful said...

Those birds do not look nice! Spiders, flys (and don't forget the mosquitos) really can mess up a nice season, can't they?

Great post!

B said...

Beverly, the highlight of last summer were the nesting birds at my neighbors house, positioned in the exact spot as your robin family. Each time our neighbor walked in or out the door he was dive bombed by the mother. It was a hoot for us, especially when he told us in his sweet but deep Mandarin accent and used his hand signs to demonstrate them coming at him. And FYI, if ninja birds aren't taken care of, they do come back each and every year. As far as I'm concerned I'd fight the daily fight day in and day out if I thought summer would come and stay, forever. Ba humbug to the winter! I'd take ninja robins and spiders over frost and snow any day!

Sue said...

Beverly, You are the second post I've read today about 'swooping" birds!!! Happened to me too at our last house- the momma never bothered hubby- just me- and I never even got very close to her nest. You are just destined to be attacked by wildlife, these days, apparently.... If you can call drinking a fly a type of attack! Loved the reference to a ninja, btw.... take care, watch out for creatures... any kind... Sue

Handsome's wife said...

It seems you are doomed, LOL... what's a girl to do? I think you have the right idea... stay inside and eat cool ice cream.. by the way.. your toes are just fine, love the red.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...