SWEET TEA

Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Tale of Two Teens

This may be a bit long, but if you have any compassion at all you'll hang with me for the good of all Womankind,
as well as for the stability of my mental health.


Princess, our 14 yr old,
has been "going" (?) with this boy for 8 months.
This is really her "first love", in a teeny-bopper, hormonal, first kiss, kind of way.
She's not allowed to date,
but they meet at the movies occasionally
with a GROUP of friends, and text pretty much 24/7,
and are considered to be "a couple".

Remember Middle School and all the feelings that go along with having a boyfriend? It is a status symbol and cause for great envy from your peers. Princess has been in La-La Land with said fair-haired boy during this 8 months.

FF to Friday.
Princess, who is home from school for the 3rd day,
"sick", no less, receives a "TEXT MESSAGE"
from Goober-Boy saying he wants to "break up".
She comes out of her bedroom to tell me what has happened.
She looks stunned. . .

My heart begins to beat wildly and I watch her for any sign of emotion.
She turns and retreats back into her room.
"Oh No! My baby's heart is broken."

I instantly became the Mama Bear
wanting to Guard & Protect
my wounded young.
I took BIG breaths as I tried to absorb the information.
I thought I'd give her a little time
to call and lament with her GF's
and cry a few tears,
THEN I'd talk to her. . .I'd give her my best
"there's lots of fish in the sea"
talk,
followed by "he's lucky to breathe the same air you do."
Great Mom words to live by.

Time passes.
I go to her room and empty my soul,
with words of sympathy and encouragment,
hoping to help mend her broken heart.
I sat on her bed, looked her square in the eyes
and rambled on giving her my wisdom of love-not-meant-to-be, and finished with "better days are ahead".
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
When I paused to take a breath,
she looked at me with great maturity
and said,
"I'm 14; not 41.
I wasn't gonna marry him!"
Then stopped just short of saying, "Get a grip, Mom."

Note: I just hate it when my children show more maturity than I do.
It's embarrassing! *sigh

BTW, Princess is off to a party tonight.
Said former boyfriend is nothing but a memory. . .
I think I'll be ok in a couple of days.
Not to worry.

15 comments:

Robbie said...

LOL! Gotta love those great mom moments, huh?! She must be a pretty level headed kid. BTW, glad she was feeling better so she could go to the party!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

We are protective like this because we can remember what it felt like to have your heart broken. And, even though they need to experience it to mould them into the people they will someday be, we still want to protect them from hurt.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Princess is one smart cookie! Good for her!

Anonymous said...

I glad she okay with it....You did the right thing to comfort her...I laugh when she said she 14 not 41...oh my...she is a mature lil princess. I know you are proud of her... Great posts...love the story. happy Pink..Katherinellen

Cajoh said...

I had a friend's mother who insisted that her children don't date until they are 16. "they need to be old enough to be scared"— I tend to agree.

Thank you so much for following me. I am currently writing a Tuesday Tribute about my followers and have some questions I'd like to ask for it. Let me know if you are interested.

B said...

I'm glad mama bear (great image of you btw) is going to be alright with that one. Just remember to use fresh hankies every now and then, and don't cry in front of the kids.

Lana@The Kids Did WHAT?! said...

Good for her! When I was 14 (and 15,16,17) and had a boy "reject" me, I was crest fallen for a LOooong time.
You're doing something right!!

babbler said...

I loved this story! I was crestfallen with my first love at that age, and I think it was because when I was a young slug, girls/women were expected to get married at a younger age, so we wouldn't become an old maid spinster type....I wish I had a better handle of what my future would look like, college, dating, ect. or I would not have been so disappointed at 14. I agree, your princess is wise beyond her years. Much love from Mrs. Slug!

Jenners said...

Wow! Good for her! I can't say that I reacted the same way back then! You've raised a strong and independent young lady!

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky! When my daughter was 14, it was a catastrophe and those words did nothing to soothe the pain. Count your lucky stars, girl!

mama's smitten said...

LOL! I would have reacted the same way!! I guess sometimes we don't give kids enough credit. Mine only 6 and 4 but even know I amazed at how much they can handle!Oh thanks for sharing that scripture on my comment page. It is lovely.

Debbie said...

My kids have been more mature than me forever! I'm used to it by now:)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

OMG, we must live in parallel universes. I've done the same thing to my 14 year old. I scare myself - I wonder how I will react when her heart is really broken. The worst part is, I don't remember my Mom coddling me like this. Maybe you and I need to form a support group.

Rhonda said...

I LOVE this post. Don't we under-estimate their coping skills and over estimate their hormones?

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. BTW...I am signing on as a "follower" groupie!

queenbee4 said...

LOL hows your heart healing? you doing ok???

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...