SWEET TEA

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Power of the spoken word. . .

Today I overslept and had scramble to make it on time for a dental appointment; then I hurried to the Bank to beat the noon rush. Afterwards I drove straight to the Library and hurriedly checked out some audio books before heading to the Mall to make a quick purchase. I looked for a short line so I could pay and be on my way, as I had other stops to make before heading home. I found the line and took my place. Waited for a bit, then a middle-aged black lady, with warm brown eyes looked up from the cash register and motioned for me,
"Come here, Precious".
I looked to the right, then to the left, and over my shoulder.
There was no one else close by.
She was talking to ME.
"Precious?"
When was the last time someone called me "Precious"?
It was quite obviously her gentle manner of speech for everyone, but I took it personally. I felt my stress subside and a smile cross my lips.
I was reminded of a simple truth I had been taught in childhood,

"There is power in words;
so choose them wisely."

I'm going to do better choosing
my words from this day forward.
"Thank you, Precious one, for pausing to read my Blog today."
How's that for a start?


* * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2 comments:

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Great start, you made my day. You are so right about words. I need to think first more before I open my big mouth to speak.

Thank you precious for making my day!

The Bullhorn said...

LAGirl-Thanks for the invite to your blog. The spoken word has a power like virtually nothing else. Words build up and tear down more effectively and more permanently than reinforced concrete. They can outlive the people who spoke them for generations...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...