SWEET TEA

Sunday, August 5, 2012

BUYER BEWARE!

It began as any other day.
I awoke and stumbled to the bathroom to put my contacts in my eyes.

The split second when the contact lens touched my eye SOMETHING was terribly wrong!!  My eye reacted to the intense pain, clamping shut.  I struggled to remove the contact lens but couldn't.  I began to flood my eye with water from the faucet, till at last I could remove the contact lens.  My eye felt as though it was on fire!  IT.WAS.INTENSE.



This was the offender!
Do not buy this stuff unless you are SURE what you are doing. It is sold right beside the regular disinfecting solutions in most stores.If you or someone in your family wears contacts you need to know THIS.  It also comes in generic packaging, so be VERY careful what you buy.

I have worn contact lens for umpteen years.
When I went to purchase a new bottle of disinfecting solution the store was out of my brand but had a generic solution (Equate) next to the empty spot.  I saw that it was for my type of contact lens, and purchased it.  Little did I know that this was not the generic equivalent to what I normally buy, instead it is a very dangerous solution which should never be used without adhering to the specific instructions for it.

I have a chemical burn on my eye as a result of this product.  I later found (online) that many consumers have sustained injuries from this product, much in the same manner as I have.  My eye will be alright (I think).  The past 24 hours have been very painful, but I am feeling better now.  I will use prescription meds on my eye for a week as it heals.

I want all my Bloggy friends and your families to be aware of this.
BUYER BEWARE!



18 comments:

Shelly said...

Gosh- that was awful! So glad you are getting treatment for it. That is dangerous with the two bottles looking so similar~

Mari said...

My friend works for an eye doctor and has told me similar stories. Glad you are going to be ok!

Kay G. said...

So sorry for you!
Good thing we have someone like you to warn us, the companies could care less, am I right?
Sending healing love your way.

(And I hear that doing very little housework improves healing, see if anyone else can take over housework chores, it's always worth a try, this.)

Susan said...

Is there a class action suit? If not, someone should start one. This is horrible. Since having cataract surgery, I know even more how important the eyes are. I hope someone does something and that, of course, you heal quickly.

Jeanie said...

What a horrible and scary thing. I hope you heal quickly and well and thanks for the warning.

CalamityJr said...

Wow! I'll pray that you continue to heal well. The eyes are too important for such irresponsible packaging.

marejohn said...

Oh my goodness! So thankful your eye will be ok. That is just plain scary! thank you for letting us all know. Take care!

NanaDiana said...

I haven't had that particular problem but what I HAVE done on a couple of occasions is to put cleaner on my lens and pop it in instead of the wetting solution. Same results! UGH.... God bless you- I hope it heals fast- xo Diana

Susie said...

My gosh how scary . I am so glad you let others know about it. I hope you are doing fine now. xo, Susie

My Mind's Eye said...

Been there done that and I was sure my eyesight was gone for good!!! I buy my contact cleaning solution from my eye doctor. It has a red tip and a red band around the neck of the bottle. I no longer get them confused.
Hugs C

arkie said...

So sorry for your pain! Hopefully, you will be all right! I don't wear contacts as I am allergic to almost all of the solutions. Can't imagine how painful that must have been!

Kimmy said...

Oh wow!! I am so sorry!! I am supposed to wear glasses (can't seem to get used to them. I'm sure if I put them on, that would be a good place to start...lol). That, along with other reasons scare me from ever wearing contacts! Hope it heals soon!!

Btw...I've missed reading your blog and seeing what's been going on in your neck of the woods! I'm glad to be back and glad others (you! ;0)) are glad I'm back also!! :0)

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

That had to be so scary. I hope that your eye will be okay.

Chatty Crone said...

I hope you are feeling better - thanks for the message - I am going to send this to my daughter. Sandie

BIKBIK AND RORO said...

O my goodness, I trust you are feeling better and will be well healed up soon! Did you essentially put hydrogen peroxide in your eye? I believe the solutions that have that ingredient do require you to add something in to neutralise it? Well if so, it was irresponsible of them not to make that super clear. Thanks for sharing; you are in my prayers.

Parsley said...

My husband uses that cleanser with the upright disk to cleanse. It DOES say not to use it as a rinse but I think they need to make the bottles totally different so no one does what you did. So sorry!

karen said...

That is exactly the brand that I use, but it's for a specific type of lens container that contains something that, over a few hours, neutralizes the solution so it doesn't burn your eyes anymore. But your lenses must remain in it for several hours. If i'm going to put them back in after a short while (like after a nap) I use another type. I'm sorry that happened to you - it DOES sting like a mother if you get it in your eyes before it's been neutralized!

Nonnie said...

I nope your eye is healing. I consider my eyes as prized possessions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...