SWEET TEA

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Answers to Questions You Never Asked.


I just heard something which could enable so many people to have a more joyous Christmas.  I understand the idea is not for everyone, BUT it could help many people.  Lots of families, especially young families with multiple children, have a hard time during the holiday season.  What do you buy for the children?  How much do you buy?  When have you bought enough?  When is it too much?  Do we load the credit card and worry about it later or do we stay on budget?  I remember these times within my own family.

Today my children are grown, except for our youngest, who is 17.  I'm thankful we don't have the financial restraints of many young families.  Still, there is the temptation to over-buy and "spoil" (I don't like that word, but couldn't think of a better one) our daughter and our granddolls. . . A friend passed along an idea she heard on the radio and I thought it was GREAT!



"Four for Christmas"1. 
1.  Something you want.
2.  Something you need.
3.  Something to wear.
4.   Something to read.

I think whoever came up with this idea is BRILLIANT!!

I wish I had heard about this before I had shopped for Princess.  I soooooo want to do this!  (It would be great for birthdays too).

I know that many of my Bloggy friends don't have small children, so this is not an issue, but let me encourage you to share the "Four for Christmas" thought with anyone you know who is having a hard time balancing money and/or shopping time.  I'm sure we won't be hearing about this on TV as stores want our business, but it's a thought that needs to be heard.  It would sure take the pressure off many people if this became a trend.  Just sayin . . .



Also, if you'd like some great ideas for your children or your grandkids go HERE (it's a little lengthy but if you look toward the end of the post you'll find fun ideas to help keep CHRIST in Christmas with the kids in your life (and they're broken into age groups!).

Who says "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"?  I find my heart is changing in the way I choose to celebrate Christmas.  I long for the "inner joy" that comes from truly experiencing Christmas.  I want to feel it, smell it, touch it. and live it - not be so tired from doing all the "gotta do's" that I can't really enjoy the season.  I'm trying some new things this year. 

Life IS a journey, isn't it?

Have you heard of "Four for Christmas" before?
Got any tips you'd care to share?

18 comments:

Joyce said...

I love this idea too...wish I'd started it years ago for my own kids. I don't buy too much anymore...we have big families so there is no shortage of gifts.

My Mind's Eye said...

No I've never heard of it..but it is certainly an excellent idea...
Hugs C

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Brilliant idea!

Jeanie said...

I love this idea and I have never heard of it. Fortunately my three oldest grandkids, 11, 9 and 8 have asked for books this year.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Totally reasonable. Sure makes choosing rational. I used to get a new (home made) nightee, a box game, a book and a treat. That was 55+ years ago.
Joy

Debbiedoos said...

That is a really neat thought and one we should all do. My boys did not want for much this year. I almost feel bad giving them as little, however, I will not buy just to buy.

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I see YOU know the FP Christmas nativity too! I posted about that yesterday and we give one to each one of our kids as they start their families. I just love it.

What a GREAT idea...for the FOUR...I am so going to pass this along! xo Diana

Mary said...

That is a great idea. I have friends who only buy their kids (or used to buy their kids) 3 things: 1 for each of the Wise Men.

Linda said...

I have NOT heard of the 'Four R's' before but I think that is a great idea!!!! Thanks for sharing it! I wish I had known about it when my children were young.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I think this is an excellant idea. As we get older and have a more limited income, I'm afraid it will become necessary. I not only buy the gifts I used to, I still make stockings for my adult daughters. I've often wodered when is it time to trim the budget. this is a great idea for next year.

Mindy said...

Thanks for posting, I read it for the first time the other day, but forgot #3...kept mumbling to myself all day.

Like others, I wish I would have done this years ago. It makes so much sense. Now, if someone could just tell me how to shop for me, I'd be good to go...

Jo said...

Love this. Really good.

Shelly said...

I adore this idea. It makes perfect sense, really, when you think about it.

karen said...

Um... was that a vegetable nativity scene? With a baby carrot in the manger? *smiling*

I TOTALLY love your four gifts idea. Wish I'd heard of it when my kids were small but I'll definitely use it for the grandbabies. Great idea!

Melanie said...

Love the idea of 4 for Christmas!!! I am not finished shopping for my daughter or husband for Christmas and I LOVE that idea.

Bobbie said...

This is a great idea! My children are all grown.. but I like this a lot!!

Joy Tilton said...

Absolutely love this! I'm sharing her First Corinthians 13: The Christmas Version, how we all need to apply this to our lives today! Thanks so much for sharing the good stuff...

Jewel said...

This is a wonderful idea, ST! ANd I'm keeping it! And sharing it, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...