SWEET TEA

Monday, November 21, 2011

The Other "First" Thanksgiving




I remember the first Thanksgiving
I spent with Mister's family. 
I was nineteen and we were engaged.
This would be the first time I would meet
his extended family and I was
nervous, wanting to make a good impression.

Mister's family was large and they were LOUD!
(my family was small and civilized  quiet)
The meal was the usual fare
one would expect for Thanksgiving,
with just one exception.
His family routinely included
homemade dumplin's as part
of their Thanksgiving meal.
I didn't know people ate
dumplin's on Thanksgiving.
Hmmmmmm.
Does your family do that?
I've wondered about this
for all these years.

Also, when Mister's family gathered, the
dinner conversation was quite rowdy
compared to what I was accustomed to. 
I clearly remember the table-talk that day
which included a detailed 
(de-tailed. Love the pun!)
update on the neighbor's
recent hemmoroid surgery.

I love family dynamics!
Let's all remember to hug our families
extra tight this Thanksgiving,
even the weird ones!


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *




18 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a hoot! sounds like my inlaws,,great dinner conversation.

Mari said...

I never heard of the dumpling tradition! However - my family is quite wild and noisy too.
good memories!

Janie Fox said...

My dumplings don't eat dumplings. They are rowdy though.

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

No dumplins at my house for the holidays.

Wonder where they got the name "dumplin."

Were you ever able to look at the neighbor w/o thinking of his/her hemorrhoids...or lack thereof? lol

Melanie said...

My husband's family eats dumplins for Thanksgiving too. No one in my family does that. The "detailed" conversation sounds like one of their converstaions though!

My Mind's Eye said...

It is Mom and Made back in the saddle, albeit Mom is sitting a little crooked. MOL
No dumplings (is that what we call Chicken pastry here)at T-giving.
Hugs Madi

Jill said...

Lol I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Many blessings,
Jill

Anne said...

I love your blog header! Being from England I love reading about American traditions and way of life. My husband and I love America and have been several times.Happy ThanksgivingX

Unknown said...

Fun stuff! I'm your newest follower and would love to have you over for a visit, too!!!

Hugs, Aimee @ ItsOverflowing.com

karen said...

Well, in my family, if I didn't hug the weird ones, I wouldn't be hugging anyone! They're an eclectic bunch, that's for sure, and I'm probably the biggest oddball of all of them! Have a great Thanksgiving!

henning love said...

oh family dynamics and meeting your significant other's family is always nerve wracking!!

NanaDiana said...

As a kid growing up we had dumplings for Thanksgiving...or, barring that, homemade bisquits.

Our family is a tad loud and rowdy too. I call it "full of life"...others call them other things. xo Diana

Chatty Crone said...

Some time the crazy ones are the most fun! sandie

Teresa said...

My Mother-in-law made homemade noodles. So thin and yummy. That is just one more thing I've never added to my feast. But they were so good.

yaya said...

Funny story! Especially the part about the neighbors! We are a dumpling free zone..both of our families. My big Greek family is loud and hubby's was much quieter too. Give me noise over quiet during the holidays!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Love the story and it sounds just like ex hubbys family. My family sings. We are loud too because there are tons of us. I have never had dumplings at Thanksgiving...although i love them. We have had duck, turkey, goose, and ham before...never dumplings.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

No dumplings here either. I don't know if we could get out of the chair after sweet potato cassarole and dumplings. My husband's family is much more rowdy than mine. I was left speechless on more than one occassion when I first met them.

Shari said...

No dumplin's at our house either, Deb. I had never even heard of dumplings until I met Bill! The first time I made him some, he said the wrong thing, "These aren't like my mom makes them!" So I didn't make anymore for a very long time. When he was getting ready to leave for Vietnam, I called his mom and got her recipe. I made them for his last night home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...