SWEET TEA

Monday, June 28, 2010

Chicago, as I saw it.

"On my honor, I promise this will be my final
post about Chicago."  I'm gonna answer some
of your questions in this post and show you
some of  what I consider "highlights" of our trip.

Some of you were curious in regards to traveling
by train, especially with a family.

PROS:
Cost is about 1/3 of flying.
Three of us traveled cross-country
roundtrip for $525. total.

Lots of families on the train,
probably because of the value.

You can move about the train.

Children seemed to travel and sleep
well on the train - it has a lulling
effect.

Good view of countryside
from the lounge car.

Basic Coach Seats are large & comfy.
Lots of leg room.

The train was on time both
going & coming.

You can (and should, IMO) bring your own
food/drinks/snacks.

CONS:It seems that adults did not sleep
nearly as well as kids did on the train,
for whatever reason.

Bathrooms are comparable to
those on an airplane = teeny tiny
and sometimes not-so-clean.

Location of seats varies within
the train and you need to board
as early as possible to
sit where you want.

* * * * * * * * * * *
"What I did on my Summer Vacation"
(my favorites)

#1

#2

#3
I loved this!!
LOL
Someone was very creative!


Oprah has an apartment in this building.
This is one of the three she keeps
in the city. (according to the tour guide)
He says she calls herself a Chicagan
though she is away from the city
most of the time and only there when
she is recording her program.


of the Sears/Willis Tower
105 stories UP!


We took several tours
and enjoyed each of them.
This was a great way to see the town
and really learn about it.


This building is so large it completely
covers a city block and has it's own
ZIP CODE!!


DARN!I had more to share with you but the photo uploader has quit working.  One of our more daring days had us on a tour bus in the middle of rush hour when it began to rain and the tornado sirens went off.  Obviously it all ended well.  My "take-away" is -
Chicago is a beautiful, clean city.
The people are very friendly.
And, there are many things to do
for young children, kids, and adults.
Great vacation destination!





11 comments:

Robin said...

A train trip sounds like so much fun! I had some friends that recently took a train trip to New York, and they loved it too! I definitely will look into doing that!
(Since I am terrified of flying...lol)

{{HUGS}}}

Kimmy said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!!! I've never had the opportunity to "visit" Chicago. One of these days!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sound like a great trip. I grew up in Chicago, great city! I moved to California 21 years ago. I miss the food. I once took a train when I was 13 from Chicago to California.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This looks like a great trip! Thanks for your sweet comments -- I would love to see your Chicago vacation tablescaping!

Parsley said...

I think I'd get motion sick on a train. We went on a short train ride and I really had to focus on not getting sick.

Glad you had fun.

Unknown said...

I agree about the bringing your own food. The food is expensive on the train. I enjoyed it in spite of the small bathrooms. We had a sleeping car so that was pretty nice to sleep and eat whenever we wanted. Great pictures.

Mary said...

Please post more pictures! I loved the one with the water coming out of the mouth! Very ingenious!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everybody had a great time!

nancygrayce said...

I like the idea of a train trip! Especially the big roomy seats and walking around.

I would NOT have gone on that ledge 105 stories up! Was there a glass barrier? I have a horrible fear of heights!

It is NOT sunny here at the beach.....We woke up to rain and it has rained off and on all day. It is beautiful though even rainy.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, a train trip, sounds like it's well worth the cost. And,enjoyed seeing the photos of Chicago and you on the ledge, how neat is that. But, scary too! Blessings to you!

Amy said...

Love the train idea...and I love the pics of Chicago. I am from the midwest and have only been near the city...must do!!

BTW tacos :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...