SWEET TEA

Monday, May 17, 2010

OPA!

We went to the local Greek Festival this weekend. . .
Greek people love to dance
and wave white handkerchef's
in the air. . .

Music.  Dancing.


Beautiful costumes.


Greek wine and Bahklava!
Be still my heart.



After the wine everyone loves to dance.
(Yep.  That's me wearing blue and
standing in front of the pastry sign.)


My favorite Guy
buying a Gyro.


Have you ever eaten a Gyro?
This was my first.
Think "funny soft taco with a dollop
of sour cream seasoned w/Dill".
There was a bit of paper thin sliced beef
in the mix of lettuce & tomatoes.
I was surprised at how good it was.


The back of the Greek Orthodox Church.
I'm part Greek, but don't go to this type of church.
Greeks & non-Greeks can attend the church.

The Priest explained the church beliefs
and symbolism.
Very interesting.
He also said their Sunday service
lasted 3 hours and that everyone
stood during the entire service.

Princess wants me to note
that the Greek guys (background) working
the food stands were "cute".
So noted.

It was a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
"OPA!"




11 comments:

Mom24 said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I love gyros. It's not the same, but I make a mock gyro by grilling chicken and serving it in pitas with tzatziki sauce and lettuce, tomato, onion. Yum!

Hope things are going well.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

My best friend in high school was Greek orthodox...I loved going to their festivals, weddings, etc...so much fun. Her mom used to fix me stuffed grapeleaves all the time...and baklava...yummmy. Looks like you had a blast.

Parsley said...

This sounds like something I'd like to do. When is next year's and WHERE? LOL

Joyce said...

Looks like lots of fun! My daughter's boyfriend is Greek. When we met he asked me if I'd seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding...I said yes. He said, 'well, my family is pretty much just like that."

I love the food, the traditions, and the country...we've been to Athens and just outside Athens but I still need a cruise of the islands : )

KTW said...

I LOVE baklava! And cute Greek guys! ;) Always said I was going to marry a Greek. Didn't happen.
Looks like you had a blast and I'm glad! Nothing like a fun time with family, learning something new, and nice 'scenery', too! ;)

Skoots1moM said...

1 baklavah and feta fry, pls!

Anonymous said...

Fun!

Aren't Gyros yummy?

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

We use to go to the food court at the mall when I was in college (70's) and have gyros, love 'em. Miss 'em. No gyros down here on the Ponderosa. I also took a dance class in college where I learned to dance the Greek dances. OPA!

God bless and you have yourself the best day!!!

Robin said...

Ohhh, that looks like so much fun! I love Greek food, but unfortunately, there's not too much to choose from here in Podunk, Alabama....lol!

{{{HUGS}}}

Robin :o)

momof3girls said...

OPA!!! My people! looks like you had fun!!!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Gyros are delicious...I always look for them when I go to a Fall Fair.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...