SWEET TEA

Friday, December 11, 2009

Reality punch

Sometimes getting confirmation of something you've only suspected can be very upsetting, especially when the changes happen over time and are gradual.  At first I thought it was just my imagination working overtime, but perhaps it was a simple case of Denial.  Like it really matters anyway.  Now.
What "is" IS the reality.
No matter how much I deny it.
No matter how much I wish it wasn't so. . .
Today my Dishwasher took it's last bubbly gasp of Cascade. . .and DIED!!
It left me a broken woman,
with a sink full of dirty dishes.


Sobbing into my dishcloth.
(I know I need to get a grip.)



Don't believe for a minute that dishwater is good
for your hands. 
It's a Myth.  A Lie.
A total Fabrication.



Here's the brutal truth of a household
without a Dishwasher.


Thinking back to when I was a kid and my Mom did dishes by hand after every meal.  Can you even imagine doing that now?  I do not long for "the good ol' days".  If it comes to a matter of doing without either Toilet Paper or my beloved Dishwasher - it's gonna be a tough call for me.


My Mom used to have a set of Copper Bottom Cookware.
Have you seen these?
They require constant maintanance after each use to keep their shiney bottoms "coppery".    It is beyond my comprehension as to why anyone would want these things, but they were quite the "thang" in their day.  I don't know if  Mom still has these but if that should be the case, "no thank you very much" you can pass these beauties on to my Sister!

My husband, God bless him, said we can go buy a new Dishwasher tomorrow.  But who wants to wrestle with the Christmas shoppers if it's not an emergency.  I've decided to "rough it" and eat out all weekend, then I'll buy the Dishwasher Monday when there should be less shoppers.

Now.
Which kind to buy?
It doesn't have to be a Cadillac,
just a good, solid, reliable workhorse of a Dishwasher.
Got any ideas?
I'd love some suggestions.
BTW, could you pass the hand lotion please.





7 comments:

Unknown said...

I wouldn't be much help since I'm a wash the dishes by hand girl. I wasn't always but since there's just the two of us, it just makes more sense to wash what little dishes we have. We use our dishwasher as a dish drainer.

I hope that Monday brings the dishwasher of all dishwashers.

KTW said...

A few years ago when my dishwasher died, I was also desperate for a new couch. I had NO couch in my living room and had been using an old daybed until I could get a new one. Well, the months passed and I STILL couldn't afford a new couch, and I had never even thought about trying to replace the dishwasher. It was a 'plus' to have one, not a necessity. (I was a single mom of two, struggling a bit at the time) Then along comes my ex-FIL. (He always did like me best! ;) ) He said he'd buy me either a new dishwasher or a new couch. Can you say DILEMMA??? I ended up choosing the couch.
Nowadays, I'm remarried and I cook dinner, the kids clear the table and load the dishwasher, and my hubster handwashes the things I don't trust the dishwasher to clean. Life is good. :)

Unknown said...

My parents didn't buy a dishwasher till after I was married. Hmmm...

Guess what I got for my tenth anniversary? Yep, a dishwasher. My first. Married ten years, four kids, all those dishes. Still one of the best gifts I've ever received!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Good luck with your dishwasher hunt -- don't you just hate it when something major has to be replaced right at Christmas? For me, it was new tires because I have to get my car inspected this month. Fa-la-la-la-la Merry Christmas to me! Oh well.

Robin said...

Oh my goodness....I will be praying for you...lol!

Whatever kind you buy, don't get an LG. I bought it because the reviews were good....but it leaks, it's loud and doesn't have a heater...you have to leave the door open to get the dishes dry. I HATE IT!

Hoping your hands don't get too bad! LOL

{{HUGS}}

Robin :o)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Awhhhh! Thanks for your sweet visit! You asked about my tablescapes -- if they're going to be actually "used"? Well, I am planning an after Christmas lunch - sometime the week after Christmas with my daughter and two grandgirls -- the table will be set similar to the "Santas at Nanas" table (only in the kitchen) -- I will be having a Christmas Eve lunch with family, but we'll probably use the china from this coming week's tablescape because I have more of it. Sometimes I have a lunch with the ladies of my office right before Christmas - but that's not happening this year -- I would indeed use this china for that -- generally my tables are somewhat like the tablescapes you see -- but often not "exactly" -- anyway, thanks for your kind words and there's always a place set for you at my table!

momof3girls said...

I am so sorry!!! Well I guess Princess will learn the art of handwashing dishes and to appreciate paper plates! Hope you get it fixed soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...