SWEET TEA

Saturday, May 23, 2009

We All Scream for Ice Cream!

Photobucket

Do you remember the rush that came when you heard the music from the Ice Cream Truck?
When I was new to the "Ice Cream Truck" experience I would always order a Red Popsicle...Then my taste grew a bit more sophisticated and I ALWAYS ordered the "Orange Push-up" (and I don't mean bra), basically it was orange sherbert on a stick. And. I. Loved. It.
Funny how ice cream from the Ice Cream Man always tasted better than what Mom kept in the fridge.

And is there anyone who has not had the "job" of sitting on the ice cream freezer as the adults turned the handle to churn the Homemade ice cream? The ice cream freezer was engulfed with ice, then sprinkled with rock salt, a quilt placed on top of it all and a child always recruited to sit a top it all.

Photobucket
My family always made Homemade Vanilla ice cream.
It was good.
Then, when I married my husband I was introduced into the world of Homemade "flavored" ice creams. Their family favorite was Homemade Banana Ice cream which was always served with Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting and topped with Hershey Chocolate Syrup. . .
Photobucket Later we had a personal friend who was the Homemade ice cream expert and he proved it by winning first place in the Tulsa Homemade Ice Cream Contest one summer. It was his concoction of "Milky Way Ice Cream" which secured his claim to fame. My mouth still waters just to think about it.

Please don't be too jealous, but I must tell you that once we went to the Mecca of ice cream goodness, when we managed to take a tour through the infamous "Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory" in Vermont. Almost as much fun as Disneyland!

Now, I try not to eat ice cream very often, cause I like to be able to snap my jeans. *sigh
But, when I do partake it's usually "Pralines & Cream" at the local Baskin Robbins.


ice cream Pictures, Images and Photos
Got any ice cream memories?
What's your flavor of choice?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Breyers strawberry. At Baskin-Robbins, I have to have Daiquiri Ice. Yummy! My hubby has a delicious, no-cook homemade vanilla ice cream that you need. I'll find it and send it to you. Ever had snow cream?

Unknown said...

When I was little my nanny worked at at a Frosty and I would sit up there with her eating ice cream -- it's sad because that is how I remember her -- She died when I was 7. I remember making the homemade ice cream so good. I want to get us a ice cream maker this summer sound like fun -- but the electrical ones.LOL
We never had an ice cream truck but we had a snow cone truck -- I love those little things too. TFS and have a wonderful weekend.

Robin said...

I grew up in the mountains, so I didn't have the joy of an ice cream truck, but my parents used to always take me to the ice cream shop in the mall, and I would always get "GRAPE" ice cream (not sherbert, but actual ice cream). It was SO GOOD!

I do, however, remember that hand- cranked ice cream freezer!

My favorite ice cream now is Mayfield Turtle Tracks and Butter Pecan.

{{HUGS}}

Robin :o)

Sue said...

As a young girl, I loved to visit my maternal grandparents who always spoiled me- I was the first grandchild! My grandfather liked black walnut ice cream and always shared his carton with me. It was an unusual taste to someone who had only ever tasted chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, but I learned to love it. I don't think I've even seen this flavor anywhere since I was in junior high school. Funny, but I haven't thought about this in years.... Thanks for helping me remember old times.... Sue

Kat said...

I always loved the orange push ups from the ice cream truck too. And our family made alot of hand cranked ice cream, usually vanilla. My favorite now is B&J cherry garcia, but Bluebell's new flavor Southern Blackberry Cobbler is threatening to take first place! Kathy

chocdrop said...

I loved the hand-cranked ice cream. It was work but worth it.
When the electric ones came out i had to have one, but it never was the same.
I am a orange push-up lover as well.
The ice cream truck had an ice cream called spaghetti ice. They took vanilla ice cream and strawberries mixed it and put it in those pasta maker things that made it turn in to long spaghetti strings. It was the best.

Susan said...

I like ice cream, can no longer eat it. We used to make homemade banana ice cream. We had an electric maker. My mom cooked a custard, so it was always good. We loved to be there when they pulled out the dasher. We lived in a small town,so had no ice cream truck, but all the Mom and Pop stores had ice cream and pop cicles of all kinds. On Sundays we would drive about 30 miles to a creamery and my grandma and I always got raspberry ice cream because it was purple. I loved it. My second favorite is vanilla. What a fun post.

Mimi said...

Like Beverly, Breywes strawberry is a favorite. It's so simple & real tasting.

When I get a cone I get a scoop of chocolate on the bottom & black cherry on top. You lick the choc. up over the cherry. My grandma taught me this.

I remember my grandpa making toffee ice cream at a family picnic. It was melty & yummy & perfect.

DKG aka Scrappy Doo said...

Blue Bell has a new flavor called
SOUTHERN BLACKBERRY COBBLER
To die for. I ate the entire pint last night O soooo good!

Ice cream guy always came on our block during the summer evenings and still do!!! I loved the Rocket one. ya know it was Red White and Blue

Hey, I am having a GIVEAWAY come check it out!
Scrappy Doo

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

I LOVE Jamoca Almond Fudge. Also, orange creamsicle flavour...

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I think we were twins seperated at birth. I loved the red popsicle....the orange push up...my family only did vanilla homemade...then I met people who added a twist to theirs...and got...butter pecan, peach, strawberry....and I have toured the BlueBell and Mayfield Ice Cream factory....and my dream one year was to work for Blue Bell as a delivery person...they get to eat all they want. I know I know...it would grow old fast....and I could not take the job away from a teenager looking for some summer money....and I would be as big as a house! Ice cream rocks!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I am a huge fan of Goo Goo Cluster Ice Cream right now...and raspberry with dark chocolate chunks too....yuuuummmmyyyy...

We are going to try our hand at homemade ice cream this year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...